six

Isaac

With Scott holding my hand, the quick walk to the car felt like a mile. Once we were situated in the car, Scott thankfully broke the silence. Which is great because I do not think I would be able to muster anything intelligent to offer after that whole incident.

"Hey man, sorry if I made you uncomfortable back there by calling you my boyfriend. I just can't stand ignorant people, they get under my skin," Scott apologized, although in my opinion he had nothing to be sorry for.

"Oh, yeah it's not problem, homophobic people suck." I reply, because it's the truth. Being gay myself I feel personally offended whenever an uneducated bigot makes a homophobic remark. Although after living with my intolerant father for the first sixteen years of my life I've learned to have a thick skin and to let nothing get to me. Compared to my father, that waiter was an angel, I know it sounds bad but ever since he died, I haven't missed him once.

Once we got back onto the main road Scott blasted some new alternative music I wasn't familiar with and we bopped along to the music for the rest of the ride.

An hour or so passed before we arrived at Derek's loft, but it felt much shorter because I was having such a nice time in the car at Scott. But then again, whenever I spent time with Scott, time seemed to move unrealistically fast, and I could never get enough of it. I had made arrangements to stay at Derek's for the time being until I got my feet on the ground again.

The thought of leaving the car as well as Scott even for a little while, since we just reconnected makes me feel not the greatest. Seeing him again made me realize just how much I missed having him around while I was away.

"Well, thanks for the ride Scott, I'll see you later," I turn to him as I am unbuckling my seat belt, trying to keep our parting short and sweet.

"What? No I have to come in to," Scott begins.

"Why?" I question.

"Well I need to talk to Derek about something," Scott stutters out, sounding very unsure of himself, but I go along with it anyways because it means I will have more time with him and we walk into Derek's loft. For some reason on the way up to the loft Scott stays a considerable distance behind me which is off to me, and feels unwelcome in comparison to the hand holding earlier.

We get to the doors of the apartment, and I knock. I am met with no answer, in fact it's so quiet you could almost hear a pin drop.

"Just open it," Scott suggests. This does not seem like a good idea to me, I don't want to get on Derek's bad side already.

"No way," I reply.

"Trust me it's okay," he continues to urge.

"No," I repeat, sure of my choice. Choosing to ignore my requests, Scott pushes open the door and shoves me quite roughly into the room.

I was not in any way shape or form prepared to see the scene around me unfold.

Everyone, and I mean literally all of our friends, with even some people I didn't even recognize, jumped up and yelled "Surprise!". Which honestly I was. I didn't think anyone could care less that I was coming back, it seemed ridiculous to me that anyone ever missed me. So this whole thing had me pretty shocked and made me feel somewhat good about myself that the people in my life actually care about me this much.

There was a huge banner hung across the windows saying "Welcome Back Isaac" in gigantic red lettering. Whoever organized this was going to have my undying gratitude, because I have never felt so cared for in my life.

"Thank you so much everyone," was all I could say without breaking into tears. It seemed I felt them welling up behind my eyes, due to all the love everyone is giving me.

"We didn't really do much but show up, to be honest." Lydia began with a smile "It was all Scott he planned this whole party for you."

I turned around and saw that Scott was still standing behind me, I wrapped my arms around him in a hug, not even thinking twice about it or the implications it could have. Let me tell you, it felt nice not to overthink so much.

"Thank you so much Scott, you have no idea how much all of this means to me," I say once we break our embrace, but only loud enough for him to hear.

"It was no problem," he played it off trying to sound humble.

"Well it certainly seems like this was difficult to organize," I prompted.

"Okay, it was a little hard to get everything perfect, but I'd do anything for my friends," he replied.

I'm supposed to be getting over this boy, not falling even harder for him but I don't see that happening any time soon.