Chapter 5

Maddox pulls into my driveway and turns off his motorcycle. He helps me off of the bike, and I walk back down the driveway to get the mail. The air feels quite cold, and it is very dark. It seems like it might rain, and I would feel bad if his bike got wet, knowing how much he cares about it.

"It looks like it's going to rain, why don't you put your bike in the garage." I say to Maddox, who is leaning on his bike, looking as sexy as ever. Wait, what did I just think?! It was just a mental lapse in judgement, that's all. I type the code in, and the garage door the contains an empty stall opens. Maddox walks his bike into the garage, but stops and stares at the car to the right of him.

"Who's car is this?!" Maddox asks, his mouth still hanging wide open. I'm torn. Do I tell him that it's my car? Do I tell him it's Frank's?

"It's mine, but Frank is fixing it up for me." I decided say, hoping that it was the most believable lie.

"This is awesome. What did he have to do to it?" Maddox is now circling the car like it is his prey, and he is a hawk.

"Well, I bought everything, but he only had the body and the chassie to start with."

"Frank's incredible. I don't even think that I could do something like this, and I'm an amazing mechanic ya know." Maddox says the last park with a smirk on his face, staring right at me and flexing his muscles. I roll my eyes at his cockiness, turning on my heel and walking out of the garage. I can hear Maddox's feet beating against the pavement not far behind me. I make sure he is out of the garage before I shut the door, but then I continue walking to the front door.

I really hope that Kathy isn't home. She would just tell Frank, he would make fun of me, and it would all be such a big mess. We walk into the silent house, kick our shoes off, and then I realize that I am still wearing Maddox's leather jacket. I unzip the jacket and hang it on the coat rack beside the door. Kathy's shoes aren't at the door, so that means that she isn't home. Score one for Peyton!

I lead Maddox up to my bedroom. I have a full size bed tucked away in one of the corners, a dresser, a desk, a table that my tv rests on, and that's about it. I watch Maddox as he is surveying the room around him. His eyes linger on my dresser, where the only thing on it is a picture of me with my mom and dad. I can't explain it to him right now, so I bush past him and sit on my bed. I hope he gets the message. He sits down beside me, putting my book bag in between us. He gives me a small smile, not a smirk, and it makes me smile back.

"So, we have to buy a house." I state, looking into his eyes.

"Do you wanna look at houses?" He asks, playing with his fingers.

"No, I thought we would settle on one without even looking at it." I say, causing him to scowl at me playfully.

"One more remark like that short stuff and, and you are getting tickled." There is a mischievous glint in his eyes. I don't want to test him right now. I really don't like to be tickled.

"Let's just go to the computer." I roll my eyes at him, but I can't help the smile that creeps out. "If it's alright, I'm going to get ready for work, and you can look up the houses, and I'll tell you what I think."

"Why do I have to do all the work?" Maddox looks at me with a stern face, but I don't break.

"I did all the work yesterday."

"I let you bring that dreadful cat in my room."

"I helped you with your homework."

"I said the 'p' word."

"I let you use my garage."

"Fine." He says, finally giving up. I mentally do a happy dance, as we both stand up and move our way to the desk. Maddox sits down in the chair, while I open a drawer and grab my bag of makeup. I only ever wear it when I work at the diner.