Chapter 9

"What the hell!" The second guy, who's name is Nick exclaims.

I just got handed double aces, went all in and took all of his money.

"I think that's enough for tonight boys. Good job short stuff." Maddox says, giving my hip a little squeeze. I actually enjoyed tonight. It was a great night to let loose and have some fun. Honestly, it was fun being Maddox's girlfriend, even though I know it was only for tonight.

I sweep up all the money towards me, gathering it all into a neat pile. I hand it back to Maddox, and he smiles a genuine smile at me.

"You must be one special girl." Blake mutters. "He never brings girls here, and he never smiles, he smirks."

"Yeah, yeah shut up. Let's get going guys." Maddox brushes off his comment, but I can't seem to do the same. I stand up, letting Maddox stand behind me. He wraps his arm around my waist and leads me out the same way we got in.

I can't help but think about what Blake said. It's exactly what Liv said. Am I special to him? I mean he did kiss me for at least a solid two minutes, but that was just for show right?

"You alright?" He whispers, leaning down to talk to me.

"Yeah I'm fine." He opens the door for me and I slide in, my mind still churning. I will have to ask Liv when we get back to his house.

This time when he gets into the car, he doesn't hold my hand or talk to me. He just starts the car and drives the short distance home. He pulls the car into the garage and gets out. He does open the door for me, but doesn't help me out or say anything to me. What happened in the ten minutes that it took to get home for him to get so pissed?

He starts walking towards the house, leaving me in the garage. I take the heels off and carry them in my hand. I don't know why I feel so depressed about this. I knew it was just for show. It just felt so real.

I start walking down his driveway, away from his house and toward mine. He doesn't want me. He could never want me. We aren't friends. What was I thinking? We are just two totally opposite people working together on a project.

My phone starts ringing in my hand, and it's Maddox. I don't answer it. I walk over towards the edge of the woods and sit on a big rock, tears threatening to spill from my eyes.

Cars are passing me, and I don't want them to see me so I start walking further into the woods, the sticks and thorns on the ground embedding themselves in my feet. I sink down to the ground in a small clearing that I found.

I am silently sobbing when I hear cracking in front of me. I see two yellow beady eyes staring at me. Oh crap! It's dark and there is something trying to hunt me. I hear a low growl as it comes closer towards me. The clearing allows the moon to shine through. The moon illuminates the beast, revealing a wolf. It looks like a dog, but about three times the size. I start crying harder, knowing that there is no way to get out of this.

I scream for help, but I think I am too far away for anyone to hear me. It starts to pace back and forth in front of me, trying to find my greatest weakness. I throw my shoes at it in an attempt to save myself, but it just makes him growl more.

He pounces at me, digging his claws into my shoulder and leaving four large gashes. I scream in pain. I head another wolf howl, but it seems painful, like it's dying or something. This wolf starts pacing again, calculating its next move. It starts to pounce, but another wolf  collides with it in mid air and knocks it to the ground.

At this point, I am finding it hard to keep my eyes open, so I let my eyelids close. The last thing I hear is the snapping of bones, which I assume is the first wolf's neck.