Chapter 6

"Maddox!" I yell. He is hunched over holding his jaw in pain.

"Do you lift or something because you punch like a dude." He stands up straight, cracks his jaw and rubs it once more before he looks to be alright.

"Are you okay? I'm so sorry. I thought you were just some pervert."

"How do you know I'm not?" I can see him wink at me in the faint light coming from the diner.

"Because I would cut your balls off." My face is dead serious. His hand subconsciously moves in front of his nether regions, protecting them.

"That's not very nice to do, wifey. How would we get kids then?"

"You do know that we aren't actually married right? And after this project is over you are going to go back to doing whatever it is you do, and so am I."

"Yes, but we could still talk to each other after the project is over. It's not like we don't get along." He confuses me so much. The first day he acted like a complete jerk, and now he is acting like he wants to be friends and hang out with me.

"Can I just go home. I'm exhausted from work." He nods his head at me, reaching his arms out and grabbing his coat. He swings it around my shoulders and helps me put it on. He zips up the coat and then puts his hand on the small of my back to lead me to his bike.

Why is he acting so sweet all of the sudden? I swear boys are more complicated than girls,  and at this point I'm too tired to try and figure it out.

He lifts me up and onto the bike, the opposite of what he did a few hours earlier. My eyes start to flutter shut, but they snap open when I feel his hand on my face. His palm is cupping my cheek, holding it up for me to look him in the face.

"You can't fall asleep on me short stuff. You may fall off and get hurt." His voice seems so sincere and his eyes are soft. He is not his normal, bad boy self right now. I don't know why he is being like this. "Are you listening?" His hand slips down my face until his pointer finger is hooked under my chin.

"Yeah. I'll try to stay awake. I'll do my best." I yawn.

"Just stay here." He says, causing my eyes to flutter shut again.

A car comes roaring down the street and skids to a stop in the parking lot beside us. I hear people talking, but I'm too tired to care.

Someone lifts my head from my arms that were resting on the handle bars. My eyes flutter open to see Maddox's face.

"What's going on?" I mumble, almost incoherently.

"I had Trevor bring me the car so you don't fall off of the bike and get hurt." His hands are still on my face, but I can't keep my eyes open any longer. I nod my head sleepily, telling him that I understand. "Look away." He says to Trevor, and then he picks my up. I think that it is sweet that he was protecting my privacy and having Trevor look away. Soon after, I am placed in a supple leather seat. Maddox puts my seatbelt on for me and then shuts the door. A few moments later, the other door opens and shuts. I hear the click of a seatbelt and the motor turn over. Those are the last two things I remember.

"Sweet pea! It's time to wake up." Frank says, waking me from my sleep. I sit up, still not opening my eyes, because I'm not ready for that kind of commitment yet. "Your husband left this note for you." At the word husband, my eyes snap open, worry seeping into every inch of my body. I then remember the project and how Maddox is my 'husband.' I lean over and  snatch the paper from Frank's hands.

"Hey short stuff. You were out like a light last night. I carried you up here and laid you in bed. You really have a strong grip when you are sleeping. I know you are going to be mad at me, but I slipped my shirt on top of your dress, and then I took your dress off. I swear I didn't look at anything. I'm not like that wifey. I want you awake for that stuff . ;) Anyways, believe me or don't. Be mad at me or not. It's your decision. I asked Frank what you were doing this weekend, and he said nothing. So short stuff pack a bag of some comfortable clothes, and I'll be over soon after you wake. I'm stealing you for the weekend."

"FRANK!" I scream, finishing the letter.

"I know what you are going to say, and he is allowed to kidnap you. I gave him permission." He winks at me, then leaves swiftly, leaving my response mute.

I sigh, knowing that there is no way that I am going to get around this. I throw the blankets off of me, welcoming the cold air. I love the cold. I grab a duffle bag and stuff it with mismatched shirts and shorts some underwear, and a couple bras. I throw a antiperspirant, brush, extra ponytail holders and a few other miscellaneous items in the bag.

I decide I should probably shower before he kidnaps me. I walk to the bathroom and look in the mirror. I am surprised that Maddox took my makeup off as well. He is actually really caring. Wait, what am I saying? Bad boys can't be caring. I shake off my thoughts as well as my clothes and head in for a quick shower.

As I am pulling on my last sock there is a knock on my door. "Come in." I say, starting to slip my shoes on.

"Ready to be kidnapped!" Maddox says loudly.

"If you are going to be that loud we are really going to have a problem."

"Did someone go to a party last night and get drunk?" He asks, poking fun at me.

"Maybe you." I whisper under my breath.

He tackles me backwards on the bed, pinning me down. "Take it back." He says, dead serious.

"Why should I?" I ask, pushing his limits.

"Because you know where I was last night. I was right here, for you. I picked you up from work, carried you to bed, changed you without taking advantage of you and even took your makeup off because I know that you shouldn't sleep with it on. So, tell me how I had time to go to a party and get drunk." By this point his face is very close to mine. Our noses are almost touching. His hands are holding my wrists above my head, and he is holding is weight off of me by straddling my legs and putting his weight on his knees. If someone walked past right now, they would be so freaked out. Hell, I'm kind of freaked out that he is this close.

"Sorry." I whisper, hoping that he will just get off of me and get going on kidnapping me. I am avoiding looking at his eyes, because I know how hard and cold they are right now.

He shifts and there is a pressure on my forehead from his lips. "I'm sorry." He whispers. He gets off of me, taking my one hand and pulling me to a sitting position. He is still holding my hand, but he won't look at me. I give his hand a squeeze, trying to tell him that he doesn't have to explain anything to me, and that everything is okay. I stand up off of the bed, still holding his hand, and I grab my bag in the other.

"Let me take that." His voice is soft and caring at the moment, not hard and forceful like it was a few moments ago. I follow him down the stairs, sitting on the last one to put my shoes on. I say goodbye to Frank and Kathy, and then I follow Maddox outside. He opens the passenger side door for me. He watches me slide in the car, then he leans in and helps me with my seatbelt. While retracting his body from the car, he gives my forehead a little kiss, making me blush. He shuts the door, and heads over to his own side.

"Where are we going?" I ask, after he is situated and is now backing out of the driveway.

"Now it wouldn't be called kidnapping if I told you. So just sit back and relax. We will be there soon." He reaches his hand over and covers mine with his. I give in. I can't believe it, but I flip my hand over and curl my fingers around his.