Faith

Elliot opens the door and the Priest smiles warmly at us. I'm surprised to see he's not much older than us. He and Elliot hug, slapping each others back before they pull apart.

"Michael, this is Olivia." Elliot says. "Liv, this is Father Michael, we went to school together, he's my oldest friend."

We walk into the kitchen and I make coffee for all of us.

Elliot kisses me on the cheek and says he has errands to run.

"I trust him, Liv. Almost as much as I trust you." He whisper in my ear, "Just be honest with him."

He leaves, leaving me alone with Father Michael.

We sit on the couch with our coffee and he smiles at me.

"It's nice to meet you, Olivia. Elliot's told me a lot about you over the years." He says.

I force a smile. "Good things, I hope." I say.

"Of course." He says smiling, "Tell me a little bit about yourself."

"There's not much to tell." I say shrugging. "I'm sure Elliot's already told you most of it."

"Tell me about your family." He says.

"I don't really have any family." I say, "Elliot's my only family."

"What were your parents like?" He asks.

"My mothers dead and I never knew my father." I say. "And my childhood is nothing worth talking about."

"How so?" He asks.

"My mother was a drunk who never really wanted a child." I say, "She made sure I knew that."

"And your relationship with Elliot?" He asks, "Your partnership, your romantic relationship, what are they like?"

"They're good." I say.

"Care to elaborate?" He asks smirking at me.

"They're not perfect. He's always been over-protective even though he knows I can take care of myself. It used to drive me up a wall but I think now, it was the only way he knew how to show me he cared." I say, "We fit together, it just works against all logic."

"What was your partnership like before you were involved romantically?" He asks.

"It's always been... complicated." I say honestly. "And I think that's putting it nicely."

"What do you mean by that?" He asks curiously.

"For the first four years of our partnership Elliot was married. And I knew after the first few months of working together that I had feelings for him. I knew the day I met him that something was different about him. But I respected Kathy and I respected their marriage." I say, "For a long time I was sure he didn't feel the same way, and that was easier. But when things got rocky with Kathy the first time I realized that it wasn't one-sided."

He looks at me, waiting for me to keep going.

"I refused to have a hand in his marriage ending." I say, "I pushed him away, back towards his family because I loved him. Elliot, he's too good a man. And that's what I love about him. He never would have forgiven himself if he didn't put everything he had into trying to make his marriage work. And I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I thought for even a second that I was the reason."

"Yes, Elliot, he's the good man in the storm. He always has been." Father Michael says with smile. "But if pushing him away had worked, neither of us would be sitting here..."

"Even when he went back home and was working on his marriage, we both always knew that we were more important to each other than partners should be. It created this almost explosive dynamic. We have different life experiences, different beliefs. We would fight to the point where we couldn't look at each other, we couldn't be in the same room but I never stopped loving him." I say, "And when things were good, they were really good. We solved our cases and we were in sync. We were and are best friends. We just never seemed to be able to get our timing right. When I realized I had feelings for him, he was married, and then I moved on because I had to."

"What makes you think now is the right time?" He asks.

"I was going to get married, to another man." I say, "And Elliot stood up at my wedding in front of hundreds of people, our coworkers, our friends, Kathy, his kids. He told me I was the love of his life and that if he didn't tell me before it was too late that he would never forgive himself. I didn't realize until he was standing in front of me, offering me his hand and asking me to run away with him, just how big a mistake I was going to make by marrying Trevor. No one has ever made me happier than Elliot does. Even when I thought all he would ever be was my partner and my best friend, he brought me so much joy. He made me feel... Whole."

"You feel unwhole when you're not together?" He asks.

"Kind of." I say honestly, "Elliot knows everything about me, even the parts I'd rather forget, and he loves me just the same. I need that, I need him."

"Do you think he needs you in the same way?" He asks.

"I like to think so." I say with a smirk, "I've been told he's not the most pleasant to be around without me."

He chuckles.

"Can I tell you what I think, Olivia?" He asks.

I nod my head as he looks at me.

"I think the faith you have in your love for Elliot, and Elliot's for you is a beautiful thing. And the battle to get to this place was hard fought. I don't think it will ever be something that either of you take for granted." He says. "I think that faith and that trust will make for a beautiful marriage."

"Thank you." I say softly, "It means a lot coming from someone Elliot trust so much."

"I'm really glad I got to talk to you today." He says kindly. "I was worried about Elliot. Worried that he was making another mistake. I married him and Kathy and I knew it was a mistake, and I could see that Elliot had his own doubts. But you know him, he thought it was the right thing to do. He wanted to give Maureen two parents and a happy home. There was no talking him out of it. The sudden nature of your wedding was a little alarming, but the commitment you have to each other is beautiful. I'll be very happy to marry you."

"Thank you, Father." I say. "I know how important it was to Elliot that you were the on to do it."

I hear the front door open and Elliot walks in.

"It was very nice to talk to you, Olivia." Michael says, shaking my hand, "I'll see you on the beach."

Elliot kisses my cheek as he sits down with Father Michael and I go to get ready.

I'm going to get ready for our wedding. My wedding to Elliot. It almost makes my head spin just thinking about it. I'm going to be Elliot Stabler's wife. Not just his partner anymore. Not Benson and Stabler.

I'm going to be Mrs. Stabler. Olivia Stabler.