Coffee

I was hoping by now Olivia would be excited about the baby. We seem to have moved past the stage of pretending like it's not happening and into something that more closely resembles apathy. Or maybe it's anxiety. It took a lot of convincing to get her to take the anti-anxiety medication. The doctor said it could take up to a month before it started working. It's been two weeks and it doesn't feel like anything's all that difference.

The kids haven't seen Olivia since she was kidnapped. They're coming over tonight to have dinner with us and watch a movie and we're going to tell them about the baby. I told Kathy last week but I wanted Olivia to be there so we could tell them together. Olivia's almost halfway through her pregnancy and as much as she's trying to hide it under sweaters and jackets, you can tell.

Olivia's anxiety is through the roof. She's worried the kids are going to hate her. And I can't say I'm convinced it will go smoothly but I know they'll come around. They love her. The girls love being older sisters, and I'm sure Dickie will be excited not to be the youngest anymore.

They've been calling and asking about her since she was kidnapped. The pictures and the videos on the news were terrifying and they wanted to see her right away but I couldn't get her to agree to it.

She's been baking all morning, which she doesn't do unless she's nervous. The kids are going to be here in 10 minutes and she's doing everything she can to fill the time.

I walk into the kitchen and wrap my arms around her from behind and I feel her take a deep breath.

"Do you think they'll be okay?" She asks quietly.

"They'll be fine, Liv." I say quietly, "They might take a while to warm up to the idea but I think they'll be excited to have another brother."

I put my hand over her belly and she gives me a small smile.

"We don't know that it's a boy." She says softly.

"Call it a fathers intuition." I say with a grin, "I just have a feeling."

"Are you going to be disappointed if it a girl?" She asks quietly.

"No, Liv, of course not." I say, "Why would you think that?"

"You just seem so set on it being a boy." She says.

"I want a healthy baby." I say, kissing her temple, "A healthy baby and a happy wife. It's all I could I ever ask for."

She turns around to kiss me and it takes me by surprise.

"I love you." She says quietly, "Thank you for being so patient with me."

I kiss her forehead, my lips lingering. "I love you too." I say softly.

There's a knock on the door and I go to answer it, expecting just the kids. I'm surprised to see Kathy with them, Maureen and Kathleen usually pick the twins up and drive them over. I don't remember the last time Kathy dropped them off, let alone walked them up.

All the kids give me a quick hug before moving on to Olivia. They all give her tight hugs, especially Kathleen. They were so worried about her.

"Hey, Kathy..." I say, "Thanks for dropping them off."

She smiles at me.

"Come in..." I say, stepping to the side to let her in. She hands me a plate with chocolate chip cookies on it and I smile. These have always been my favorite, she knows that.

It takes me by surprise when she pulls Olivia into a hug. "It's really great to see you, Olivia." She says kindly, "I hope this isn't too forward, but I am so glad you're okay. We were all really worried about you."