Aftermath

On Thursday, my mind was boggled. My feet were dragging and my eyes were red. No sleep for Elizabeth, no sleep at all.

I couldn't believe what had happened yesterday, but there was evidence that Lucian Black had been in my room. A coldness had swirled around in my bedroom, so much that at 3 am in the morning I crept into my warm bathroom and fell asleep in the bathtub.

Today, was going to be very tiring.

For starters, I knew that Lucian was at school, his Harley was parked in the most convenient place in the parking lot, again. Something told me he'd find some way or another to bully me again.

I'd already given up the idea of reporting him to the principal, I shivered as I remembered the way he had threatened to kill the police. No, I had to deal with Lucian on my own. And the thought alone had me crawling on all fours. Totally pathetic.

I clutched my bag closer to my chest as I entered the school hallway and sighed softly as everything seemed to be normal.

'Ellen!'

There was only one person who called me that, and my heart lifted as I turned to spot Jack Isle, making his way through the crowd to me. His rugby ball under one arm as he stopped before me, that silly morning smile on his face that made me go so much more pudding than I already was, 'Good morning Jack,' I greeted, squeezing my bag closer to my chest.

'Morning,' he greeted back before grinning, 'have you got those speakers with you?'

My face fell, in my traumatized state this morning I'd totally forgotten about our deal, 'Oh crap, I'm sorry, I forgot to bring them'.

The jock gave me a thoughtful look before running his hand through his brown hair, I gulped, was it creepy that I wanted to touch his hair?

'That sucks man,' he muttered.

It was then that I felt the same coldness I'd felt all night. Meters behind Jack I could spot a dark figure, leaning against the lockers.

Lucian Black.

He had the nerve to give me a cocky smile that made my spine grow even more rigid and a little wave.

'It's totally fine,' Jack said suddenly, looking really beaming.

I frowned, 'Are you sure? I know I shouldn't have forgotten it-'

'It's fine,' the jock touched my shoulder, a total 180 from what he had looked like earlier, 'It's not your fault. We should've thought of an alternative'.

My eyes widened, 'Ok'.

Jack shot me another pretty smile before he cleared his throat and his cheeks pooled slightly red, 'I was going to ask you... will you come to the bash with me Elizabeth? I know we're not sure of a place yet, but I'm sure we will'.

In my head, cherubs were flying in their nudity, shooting love arrows all over my insides. Jack gave me his puppy eyes and I nearly swooned.

'O-Of course,' I managed to stammer.

Jack smiled, 'I'll see you Friday then,' and then turned around.

I wanted to jump, to fly, even sky dive. Jack Isle just asked me out. Me! He even called me Elizabeth.

Clutching my bag like it were Jack I stopped myself from doing the happy dance in the hallway.

However, my happy moment was ruined when I looked up to see Lucian Black, that same smirk on his face. He gave me a wink, a wink that spelled trouble and 'I'm going to get you', then vanished.