Epilogue

'Oh, I'm so late,' Elizabeth whispered, stepping off the subway with a quick jump before flying up the stairs.

It was her first day as an intern at the Private Practice of Dr. Henrigan, most wanted therapist for the aching hearts in New York City. Lizzy had finished her years at college with flying colours, and when her friends asked her what motivated her so she could hardly answer. She didn't know herself but something in her was aching and working helped her dull the pain.

The glass doors of the building were opened for her and she smiled in thanks to the guards before she dug in her trench coat for her cellphone. It was still a flip phone, homage to her best friends in high school, who had all gotten a flip phone – just so they had something that still connected them together.

She dialled her father's number and held it between ear and shoulder as she pressed for the 23rd floor in the skyscraper. After just two dial tones, her father picked up, 'Lizzy?'

'Hi daddy,' she smiled, stepping into the elevator, 'I just got to the clinic'.

'Does it look good?' he asked, and Elizabeth heard him set the coffee. She had bought him an Espresso machine for his birthday and he was in love with the thing.

'It looks... great,' she answered, taking a swift look at the modern glass elevator with a sleek Cherrywood panel for the elevator buttons.

As the coffee poured, her father's voice sounded through, 'I'm so proud of you, Lizzy,' and after a soft silence he continued, 'Your mother would be too'.

Elizabeth closed her eyes for a moment before she smiled, 'Thanks dad'.

☠☜◊✙◊☞☠

Dr. Claire Henrigan was kind, patient and quirky. She greeted Elizabeth before seating her in her therapy room. They took on some patients before Lizzy was dismissed to go get some lunch whilst Claire handled some confidential clients that weren't open to an intern being in the same room.

Taking a quick bathroom break, Lizzy stared at herself in the mirror as she dried her hands. Her hair was still caramel, tinged blond by the girl's vacation she had taken with some college friends in the Summer. Hawaii had been a miracle and learning how to surf was another thing ticked off of her bucket list.

Rubbing the eyeliner from her pale blue eyes, Lizzy reached for the small paper book she always kept with her: her bucket list.

Over the years lots had been ticked off, and some papers were creased, some ear marked. Charlotte and Grace had even drawn smiley faces in the corners when they found it in her pocket one day.

'What's that?' Charlotte had asked, pointing to the top of her list, a question mark in red.

'It's from, you know,' Lizzy had muttered vaguely, catching the shared looks between her two best friends.

At the final dance, Elizabeth de Baptiste had done another crazy thing. Apart from the truck and coma part. It had taken her days to convince her dad she was fit enough to go to the graduation ceremony and that being found barefoot and passed out in the cornfield was just a drunk stupor.

Grace and Charlotte hadn't spoken word. They kept her secret, that they hadn't been back with drinks yet and that there was no way she could've been drunk in the first place. They didn't ask anymore questions, ever since high school, nothing unusual had happened to Lizzy except for the occasional dreams about the "beast".

It sometimes lurked in the edges of her room. A figure with cat ears and two tails that shadowed against the wall, one time, Lizzy could swear she heard it laugh. It had never been menacing, she never felt that it meant her any arm. It seemed to watch over her, unable to come close, checking if she was still there.

Elizabeth rubbed a thumb over the question mark, frowning as she tried to recall exactly what she had seen that night at the dance. The memory teased her, giving her hope before dancing away when she got close enough to grasp it.

Sighing, Lizzy put the notebook back into her pocket and swung her handbag onto her shoulder.

☠☜◊✙◊☞☠

Walking into the hallway, Lizzy tucked a strand of hair behind her ear before looking up.

The elevator doors were closing slowly on the face of someone familiar.

Him.

Elizabeth ran, her heart pounded in her chest as she sprinted to the elevator. She thrust her hand between the elevator doors, not even yelping when the pain hit her fingers.

The door dinged back open and the most handsome man she had ever seen in her life stared back at her, ice blue eyes the colour of glass shards. His eye seemed to be twitching as he took her in.

She held the doors of the elevator open and gasped, 'Hi'.

'Hi,' he replied, his voice as silky as ever. One perfect eyebrow rose before he gave a confused smile, 'You want to... come in?'

'Uhm,' Lizzy looked around her, noticing that people were staring and she blushed in embarrassment before quickly stepping into the elevator, 'sorry'.

'Do I know you?' the handsome man frowned though an amused smile was still on his face.

Elizabeth didn't know what to say, her face felt burning hot. Maybe she was crazy, after all. Instead of being an intern, she should probably be a damn patient. If the man wasn't here she would've probably banged her head against the elevator door, 'No, I'm sorry, I thought I knew you'.

In shame she turned around, gripping her handbag tight as she stared into the closing metal of the doors, wishing for the 23 floors to come quicker to an end.

From behind her, the handsome man took in her form before a gentle smile tilted his lips and then a full on grin came and he slid his hands into his pockets, 'Long time no see... Elizabeth de Baptiste,' he said casually as the doors closed.

Lizzy turned around, her eyes wide with confusion before tears appeared, 'Lucian Black, you fucking asshole,' she whispered, beginning to sob.

'Miss me?' he smirked before holding open his arms.

A/N: IT HAS COME TO AN END. I hope you guys enjoyed this a lot, I'm very happy to have finally finished it.  It was an amazing journey, thank you for joining us <3 Love, J.

A/N: If you liked this type of dynamic, please check out Moon Palace! I'll try to update every week <3