Chapter 9. The Song

Chapter 9.

Ronnie.

I was at the backstage listening to my playlist when I heard the earsplitting screams of the crowd, the first two contestants didn’t get reactions like this from the audience.

It made me think that maybe this third contestant was really a good singer because she got the heart of the crowd. I was dead curious that’s why I turned off my iPod and started listening. I was so surprised on her angelic voice, I felt like her voice penetrates my soul. I can’t help myself to see who was singing, I took a glance from the backstage.

Then my heart beats faster when I saw her in side view,

she looks like an angel singing, serenading everyone’s heart.

I found myself smiling staring at her. Then  my world suddenly turned in slow motion,

I saw her slowly singing, her lips, her smiles, the way she closes her eyes, the way she strum her guitar, her messy bun, there’s something in that I couldn’t resist to watch. I felt something cold in my stomach and for some reasons it felt good.

This is weird, why I’m feeling like this? Maybe her voice or the hype of the crowd, I don’t know. Ugh, stop it.

Focus, anytime soon I’ll be singing I should avoid distractions. I started vocalizing, and I can still hear her voice, I closed my eyes and saw her singing in front of me. I shook my head to erase what I saw; I took a deep breath and started vocalizing again.

When the host introduced the next contestant before me, my knees started trembling, my heart was like jumping, and this was so unusual of me.

What the hell is wrong?

I used to perform just like this and now I felt like this was my first time. I tried my best to calm myself and focus, internalizing the song again.

“You can do this Ronnie.” I whispered.

Jessie.

Shaira and I found a perfect spot to watch for Ronnie’s performance. When the host introduced him, I can’t help myself cheer on him. I hysterically clap and shout like an avid fan.

Some of the crowds gave me a death stare but I don’t care,

I’m enjoying bitch.

I felt his nervousness as he set himself in the stage. I asked Shaira to shout with me and we screamed

“You can do it Ronnie.”He smiled even though he didn’t saw us.

“Para ito sa mga taong nagmahal at nasaktan.” He said. The crowd started to cheer for him, so I did.

He started to strum his guitar; I’m not familiar with it so I waited him to sing the lyrics.

“Natatandaan ko pa ang yakap mo’t halik
Ang tamis ng iyong halik lambing,
Nakatingin sa mga litratong masaya,
Kay saya na ating pagsasama.”

The audience didn’t react, they listened very eagerly to the song, and it seems like they don’t know it.

“Do you know the song?” Shaira asked.

I shook my head.

“Maybe I’ll know it on chorus.” I answered.

“Pilit binabalikan ang lahat,
Pilit inaalala ang lahat.

Sana may pag-asa pa
Sana may nagmamahal pa
Puro sana na lang ba ako?

It took time for me to think that he’s singing he’s own composition. And I think the crowd realized it too.

Sana hindi mo malimutan.
Sana ako na lang ulit.
SANA…

“Ahhhhhh.” The crowd cooed.

"Bakit kung kalian sa puntong  mahal na mahal kita
Bigla ka nang iwan at nag hanap ng iba
Puso’y nagtataka
Saan ako nagkulang
Saan ako nagkamali?
Saan?

Sana may pag-asa pa
Sana may nagmamahal pa
Puro sana na lang ba ako?

The crowd waved their hand in the air and sang with Ronnie.

Sana hindi ka na lang nagbalik

At sana pinatay mo na lang ako.

Every word of the song affects me so deeply, I felt like I’m broken hearted even though I’m not. He wrote his heartbreak song, and he sang it wholeheartedly, maybe this is his way of moving on, writing what he feels.

He got a standing ovation from the judges and the crowd gave him the loudest cheer after the song.

I saw a bead of tear fell from his eyes but he hurriedly wipe it and took his exit. I know he’s hurting, and I felt bad because I can’t do anything about it.