Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Fear nearly incapacitated me as I walked up the steps to the school doors. I wore my new clothes and shoes; I didn't want Paige and the others to think they wasted their money. I still wore my hoodie though. I couldn't quite part with it. It gave me a little bit of comfort and security. Enough that I was able to pull open the door and walk inside.

As I strode down the hallway toward my locker, some people stopped and stared. A few of my peers even smiled at me and said hi. I returned the greeting but knew my face was a mask of abject horror and confusion.

Despite my new clothes, I was still Daisy Wendell, the school outcast and misfit.

Ashley, Paige and Jenna were waiting for me at my locker. When I approached, Paige gave me a nod of approval.

"You look nice, Daisy," Ashley said.

"Thanks." I tugged at the too-tight top that was molding my boobs.

Jenna smirked. "I think you still look weird."

"Don't be a bitch, Jenna," Paige said. She then narrowed her eyes at me. "Have you ever thought of coloring your hair? You'd make a great blond."

I shook my head. Eyes wide, I looked around me, as other students started to surround me, and talking to me. I spied Dylan walking our way. Our gazes met, but he kept on walking past. He didn't smile at me, or I at him.

He looked like was going to say something. I wished he would. Maybe he could talk some sense into me. Maybe he could pull me out in time. Before things got out of hand. Before I got in too deep.

But he didn't.

And I didn't.

And we passed each other as if they hadn't known each other for years.

Then it all kind of hit me.

I put my hand over my mouth and dashed for the washroom. There were two other girls I didn't know in the washroom when I busted in. They jumped out of the way and pressed up against the walls as I darted into one of the stalls and vomited into the toilet.

On my hands and knees, I retched until I was empty and still my stomach lurched. Sweat dotted my forehead and the back of my neck. I could hear the two girls outside the stall tittering to each other. I could just imagine the stories that would be flying around school before the end of the day. I wouldn't be surprised that in one juicy bit I would be pregnant and experiencing morning sickness. Worse things had been said about me for less.

I grabbed some tissue and wiped my mouth, then got to my feet. I stumbled out of the stall and to the sink, where I ran the cold water and cupped some and drank it.

"Are you okay?"

I looked up into the mirror to see Ashley standing behind me, her hands fiddling with her shirt. She looked nervous.

"Yeah, I'll live."

"It's nice that you're trying."

"What do you mean?"

She shrugged. "To be Paige's friend. Haven's death has been really hard on her."
I wiped at my mouth again. "What about you?"

"Oh I'm sad, that's for sure. I miss Haven a lot, but I wasn't as close to her as Paige was. Or you, I guess."

I tossed the paper towel into the garbage. Two points, off the rim. "Haven always said nice things about you. She said you are the best one of the group, and that included myself."