𝟎𝟎. 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐋 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋

(PROLOGUE : DEAL WITH THE DEVIL)

(PROLOGUE :
DEAL WITH THE DEVIL)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

"DAMON SALVATORE, YOU HAVE done some foolish things in your lifetime, but this is the most idiotic one to date." I scolded, breaking character when I was unable to repress a loud, loving laugh after Damon rolled his eyes, tightening his grip on my hand. After all this time, I was returning to the land of living. "You do realise that if we don't make it then we'll both be dead?" I ensured he understood exactly what he was risking by even attempting save me.

"We're already dead, Lottie." Damon responded in a slow, patronising manner. Another laugh slipped from my lips at this, I missed his sarcasm, I missed seeing his killer blue eyes everyday and I missed being able to . . . Touch someone, talk to someone. "But, if you really want, you can shout at me after we get out of here. Although I do believe a 'thank you for saving my ass' would be more appropriate." He mused, our speed increasing as we raced against the clock, zig-zagging between pine trees in an effort to escape the collapsing Other Side.

I shook my head. "That's hot ass to you." I corrected, lowering my head to check out my ass — after a century, I learned to love every inch of my body. "But, may I also remind you that I'm here because your girlfriend conjured up one terrible, disastrous, reckless — believe me, I could go on — plan. If they didn't try to murder a thousand year old vampire, who I happened to love, then we could be singing around a campfire about now. Of course that didn't happen, leaving me with a score to settle with a certain Gilbert family." I clarified, my anger over the betrayal of my friends never quelling over the years. However, I wasn't mad at Damon — I couldn't be — and that was when I decided to stop talking before I said something I couldn't take back about his girlfriend.

Abruptly, Damon stopped in his tracks. "Woah, no. There'll be no score to settle with Elena, she  feels bad enough as it." He jumped down my throat, but it wasn't like I planned to kill my ex friend. All I wanted her to do was feel even a quarter of the pain I did that night. "And their plan almost worked, so it wasn't that bad. None of us told you to run in front of that asshole. If anybody should be here, it's him." His grudge against the Original family hadn't dissolved since our last encounter, clearly.

To snap him out of his vengeful plotting, I slapped him across the face, appreciating the distinct echo of my hand coming into contact with his face. "First, that's what you get for insulting my failed attempt at playing hero. Second, focus, we need to keep moving." I explained my actions, a small grin cracking through my features as the wind looped through my curls when we started to run again. Like a child on Christmas, I couldn't contain my excitement because I was going to interact with real people in the real world again after over a year of isolation on the Other Side.