𝟎𝟏. 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐀 𝐕𝐀𝐌𝐏𝐈𝐑𝐄

(CHAPTER ONE : WALMART VERSION OF A VAMPIRE)

VERSION OF A VAMPIRE)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

TAKING A SMALL SIP of the hot chocolate in front of me, I cringed at the sweetness, but flashed a wobbly smile at the girl sat opposite me. Esther had sent me to comfort Davina Claire after her date never showed at the café — and the irony of me needing to befriend the witch that Kol and I spent months trying to trace was not lost on me. She was nice, I was almost certain I had saw her face before when I visited New Orleans, but she wasn't taking to me — or rather Adelina — like I had hoped. Despite the two being cousins, the brunette didn't seem to know Adelina all that well and rightfully had a guard up after being manipulated in the past.

Adelina Blackwell was my temporary vessel — she was twenty-two and had ran away from her home in Massachusetts. Due to this, she was alone and vulnerable, which made her an easy target. At least, that was what Esther and Finn had claimed, but I knew better. Adelina's magic was dormant, which meant it limited the power I had and hindered my chance at success if I chose to rebel against the pair. Whilst it was dormant, it still ran through 'my' veins, which also made me the perfect magical power up for the two when needed. In short, I was a magical juice box that they could take power from, but had no power of my own. Frustrated by this, I looked into the Blackwell history and found Adelina was actually a trained huntress — born out of a forbidden love between a supernatural hunter and witch. Behind Esther's back, I practiced combat skills with the agility of a huntress, preparing to one day fight back against the dictatorship. However, I had to lie one day when Finn caught me shooting arrows in the woods. Since Esther learnt of my skills from her son, I had been forced to kill the witches, wolves and vampires that refused to align themselves with her.

"You should probably stick to coffee next time." Davina mentioned, her tone as sweet as my hot chocolate. Although, I liked to think I was good at reading people after a century and figured from her intense gaze that she was suspicious of her distant relative's sudden appearance.

I forced out a small laugh. "You're right, this was meant to be a coffee date after all." I agreed with the teenager. "What was his name again? I might have to hunt him down for ditching you like that." I scoffed to make it sound believable, prodding for more information to impress Esther. For some reason, she really interested in Davina, so it was my mission to be part of the girl's exclusive inner circle.

She frowned. "Be careful what you're saying, Lina. People around here are . . . on edge. A lot of supernatural creatures have been showing up dead lately and one wrong word will have you in Marcel's Garden." Davina revealed in a hushed tone, having believed that I had only arrived two days ago and not two months ago when the murders had started. From how she spoke, I concluded she wasn't aware of Adelina's second life as a huntress. "And there's no need for violence, the date probably slipped his mind. He's a vampire, but he's charming and I really like him. You know how I feel about vampires, yet he's . . . special." She gushed, her adoring expression making me grin. It was heart-warming to see the young witch be in such a puppy dog love.