𝟎𝟐. 𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐘 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄

(CHAPTER TWO :REMEMBER MY NAME)

(CHAPTER TWO :
REMEMBER MY NAME)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

SOMETIMES, I EXPECTED MORE. When I rushed through the doors of the small New Orleans bar, I had expected for the doors to fly off their hinges and the fanfare to start up. However, my sudden appearance was an unimportant blip amidst the chaos of the wolves. Time didn't stop, speed or slow for any one person — much less a nobody like Adelina in such a big city. In Mystic Falls, everyone knew everyone, but here, I was a passing face to all — even those that once knew me as Lottie. Truthfully, I found it hard to adjust to nobody looking when I walked into the room. Last week, Esther had questioned how it felt for me to be in a clean body and I fed into what I knew she wanted to hear, insisting I felt rejuvenated, reborn, refreshed — take your pick of an adjective — but in an honest word? Being Adelina Blackwell was lonely.

I cleared my throat, wanting to draw attention to myself. "You know, attitude problems are a bit of a stereotype of werewolves." I mused, several pairs of eyes falling onto me. "If you don't want things to get ugly, I'd highly suggest on cutting back with the Twilight auditions . . . Unless you want to see me angry, that is." I released a low growl, stripping off my leather jacket and discarding it on the ground.

Nobody moved for a moment, all the werewolves exchanging glances of bemusement. In spite of my skill set, I was human in every sense, so my scent was too and the pack had assumed I'd be a quick fight to pick. However, it wasn't their misjudgment I was focusing on, it was the two pairs of brown eyes that were burning into me. First, I built up the courage to meet Davina's warning gaze — she had the kind of brown eyes that had hazel undertones, a sign of all the light beneath her power. Then, I found Kol's — his eyes seemed to tell a new story every time I found them, they were a rich brown, like dark chocolate, on this particular day — and he was confused. Returning his stare, I raked his body with an unexpected confidence, half waiting for him to run up to me and kiss me. Eyes were meant to the window to the soul, so how could he not see who I was beneath the ruse of Adelina Blackwell? I tried not to think about it, my own brown eyes flitting to the couple's intertwined hands and the man's protective stance.

"Game on, sweetheart." One mutt dared, claws elongating from his fingertips and he leaped through the air, posed to attack.

"Games are not fun if I know I'm going to win." I retorted, spinning out of his target line and pulling a pocket knife from the inside of my boot. Although I preferred a crossbow or even a gun, I was grateful in that moment I always carried some smaller weapons on the inside of my boots. "And I don't appreciate being called sweetheart, sweetheart." I patronised, watching how his claws got stuck in the floorboard I had stood on seconds ago. Without hesitation, I launched the knife into the back of trapped wolf.