𝟎𝟔. 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓

(CHAPTER SIX : HEART TO HEART)

(CHAPTER SIX :
HEART TO HEART)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

WITH A SOFT GROAN, I managed to haul my body off the ground after being discarded on the floor by my ex-lover. I didn't — or rather, couldn't — blame Kol for fleeing the scene because I was meant to be dead, but that didn't make it hurt any less. Watching him leave caused the world around me to drain of all the bright, wonderful colours and turn a little bit duller. It didn't help that I knew it would be hard for him to accept the 'new' me because, sometimes, I didn't recognise myself when I looked in the mirror either. Yet, a part of me had still been convinced that our reunion wouldn't be strictly bumps and bruises — he knew magic like he knew a White Oak dagger in the back, so it shouldn't have been far fetched for me to have found my way back to him.

Trailing my movements, Davina's keen eyes scrutinised me. "Where are you going?" She pressed, wrinkling her nose. Of course she was rightfully suspicious. In spite of promising to help her, I was attempting to slink away in order to do damage control with Kol.

I twisted the doorknob, pausing to contemplate if it would be wise to ignore her question. After an internal debate, I resolved that she wasn't the enemy here and she had impressed me thus far — her passion and stubbornness was infuriating, but admirable. "To find Kol." I replied, attempting to sound as indifferent as possible. "He's unpredictable, it isn't safe to have him running around New Orleans when he's mad." In knowing Kol as well as I did, I had to bite my tongue at her question that felt redundant. If she knew him like I was lead to believe, she should have known how dangerous it was for him to be left riled up whilst there were walking blood bags around the city. With Kol, intense, negative emotions usually brought forth a murderous rampage. 

"You can't." Davina shut the idea down, her eyes widening to the size of saucers.

I dropped my hand from the doorknob. "Fine." I shrugged, a hollow laugh following my grumble of agreement. "Let's start a betting pool instead on how long it will take him to slaughter the population of New Orleans." I suggested, raising an eyebrow at her. It was bold of her to think she could tell me what I could and couldn't do, but her boldness was her own funeral — her city's too. New Orleans would be wiped out as a tourist hotspot there was a sudden rise in visitors having their throats ripped out.

"Alex will be here tomorrow." She reminded me. "Adelina and Alex . . . In spite of falling out, they're twins and their relationship is special. He'll know you aren't her in a heartbeat unless I give you a crash course on how to act like Adelina." Davina pointed out, providing me with the blaring reminder that I'd be put to the ultimate test in less than twenty four hours. From the little access to Adelina's memories I had, I knew that Alex would have no qualms about killing me if he found out the truth.