[ CHAPTER TWO ]

July 7, 1991

Meluna propped her forearm on the bookshelf, letting some of her weight slant as she flipped through the pages of the book she was reading. The'd flickered through them so quickly, it blew air towards her face and moved her hair. She chewed on her bottom lip, deep in concentration as she stopped, staring at the floor. She then huffed and dropped the book on her table before moving to a different set of shelves, prodding some books with her finger. She'd balanced a few books in her arm and scurried over to her study room.

Meluna was actually quite wealthy. She had a great paying job, with the least amount of experience needed. Her family may have completely shut her out, but they allowed her to work in the family business so she could provide for herself, as long as she stayed away from them.

She flickered through different pages in all of the books, only tearing her eyes away from them to write in her journal. Meluna tapped the side of her head with her pen, trying to think hard enough back to date so she could get the most accurate response as possible. She began to murmur to herself, making clicking noises with her tongue in order to keep herself in focus.

A loud bang caused Meluna to jump as choke on air as she gasped.

"Hey lover, you in there?" Kai's voice called out to her as he pounded on the door once more. Meluna rolled her eyes while closing the books, stacking and putting them to the side.

Ever since Meluna had told him about her strange feelings, Kai would not let her live it down. In fact, he even held her hand in public, especially on campus. It would be hard to tell if they weren't dating from a view, but he'd told her he had no feelings for her in the way she felt for him. In a way, humiliating her was probably his way trying to tell her she shouldn't feel awkward, they'll get over it.

Meluna swung the door open and gave Kai a tired smile, jokingly mumbling, "hi honey!" she gave Kai the best hug she could, considering his arms were full. She helped and grabbed a few of the bags in his hands. "What's all this for dude?"

"We're having a movie night. You're studying way too much and you haven't given your bad boy any attention for a few weeks, so we are spending quality time together." Kai grinned wildly, straight teeth peeking out. "You can even call it a date if you want." he tapped her nose before winking. He swung over his backpack, pulling it open, exposing a few fabrics of his clothes. "Also, who called for a sleepover?"

"I didn't." Meluna grunted with a pout on her lips. "Kai, I really have to-"

"Go back to studying? Nuh uh, no you're not. And just to make sure," he paused to snatch the pen out from behind her ear, "I'm taking your pen."

"Kai," she whined.

"Luna," Kai mimicked. "Come'on, spend some time with your best bud." he held his arms open for her, remembering he hadn't gotten a proper hug from her. She rolled her eyes, making her way towards him. "Yeah, that's right baby, come to daddy." her face contorted as she began to laugh, smacking his chest before he pulled her into his arms.

"I hate you, loser." Meluna mumbled, tucking her hands underneath the collar of his jacket. Her head slipped into the crook of his neck easily while he rested his palms on the middle of her back.

"No you don't. You told me yourself, you like me."

A groan fell past Meluna's lips as she went to push him away. "Shut up about it already." she tried to hide the evident blush on her cheeks, but Kai caught it.