[ CHAPTER TEN ]

present day

"I - what can I do? Is there anything I can do to keep you yourself?" Elena had her hands up, not knowing where to put her hands. It wasn't everyday that she met someone whom got riled up on thunderstorms.

"Maybe you could throw her out and keep yourself safe?" The Damon subconscious sneered. "No one wants to be around when Pikachu explodes."

"Damon, shut up." Elena hissed, shooting him a glare. But Luna began panting, animalistic growling almost. She kept her fists clenched so that her abilities would spiral out of control. "Should I call the cops? My best friend's mom is the sheriff, maybe she can lock you up temporarily so you won't cause an outage or something."

"No!" Luna shouted, putting her hands over her head as pain surged through her temple. "I need A-" she cut herself off with a loud grunt as she swallowed back the pain she was feeling. "I need Alaric Saltzman."

Luna channeled all of her energy to stay within her, but it was all too overbearing. At this rate, if one thing set her off, anyone and anything around her would be fried to a crisp. Concentrating, keeping her mind on her anchor, she whimpered, refusing to let her fox take control.

And then, she just passed out.

[ - ]

February 9, 1988

"Malachai, I think there's something wrong with me," Meluna whimpered as her stomach rattled. It was the thunder storm, collecting all of her emotions. The way the thunder rumbled was the same way her insides felt, releasing energy whenever it felt best fit.

"Come'ere," Malachai opened his arms out as he sat on the floor, books surrounding him. When Meluna had made their way toward him, he opened his legs so that Meluna could lay in between them, the back of her head resting on his chest. Both arms were wrapped around her, clasped together as they'd met at her shoulder.

They'd been hiding out in Meluna's basement, just talking and hanging out. Meluna didn't want Malachai to witness the verbal abuse she went through, she didn't want to scare the teenage boy away. With Malachai at almost seventeen, he could easily have taken her away and driven her somewhere else. Somewhere safe from her family, but with that also came the realization of the expenses.

He could feel her body vibrate. It was a slight movement that not many would actually feel, but he paid attention. It was like her body was humming, and whenever he touched her, her body reacted in a way that made it seem like it sang to him. Malachai's touch had made her come to life.

"I want you to listen to me, alright?" his thumb rubbed against her shoulder. She nodded her head in response. She could hear his heartbeat going crazy, she did that. "I don't want you saying that crazy nonsense anymore okay? There's nothing wrong with you, and I sound like I'm mom'ing you, but seriously, don't say stuff like that. This is just - " he hadn't known what to call it. Meluna hadn't exactly opened up to him about her abilities, all he knew was she went out of spiral during storms. It reminded him of a werewolf on a full moon.

"You're such a good friend," Meluna murmured, eyes falling shut as she lay against his chest. She wasn't asleep, no, she wanted to cut off anything that would distract her from taking in this moment. This was her best friend.

Malachai seemed a little disappointed. Sure he was her best friend, but that's not exactly what he wanted to be. Sixteen, almost seventeen, year old boy with hormones that are on whack, of course he'd caught feelings for the only girl that gave him attention.

"Meluna?"

"Huh?"

"You mean the world to me." he tried to fight off those words, he really did. "I mean, you're my best friend. The only friend I've ever really had, you know?" Nice save, Parker.

"Mhm," she hummed in content. "I love you."

Those words made Malachai's breath hitch and heart skip a beat. His eyes widened until only a second later, he realized. Best friends.

"I love you too."

"Don't say that," Meluna looked up at him with a wide smile. "It makes me think you're saying it just because I said it. Just say 'I love you'."

Malachai only smiled at her, nodding his head. "I love you."

[ - ]

"How the hell do you know this girl?"

"Excuse me?"

"No, Ric, don't play dumb. She came to me first and then Elena, asking for you."

"Is the storm over?"

"What? How is that relevant to what we're talking about?"

"No, he means, it'll help Luna's state if the storm's gone." Elena chimed in.

"Wait, hold on... So you both have some explaining to do."

Luna grunted, moving around on the bed, panting as she realized she wasn't at home. She sat up quickly, running her fingers through her hair before figuring out the familiar places.

"Oh!" Elena rushed to her side with a cup of water. "Here, drink this." Luna reluctantly obliged, taking a small sip of water.

"I assume you have many questions for me," the vixen cleared her throat. "I will try to answer them as accurately as I can, but there is no promise that they will be what you want to hear."

"What are you?" Sheriff.

"How do you know Alaric?" Elena.

"I came from home. Portland, Oregon in search of you, Alaric. I had to leave and I remember you telling me to come to you if I ever needed help." Meluna nodded her head as she spoke.

She turned and looked at Liz, "I am a Raijū, call it a thunder fox, if you will." she then turned to Elena. "Alaric's been a family friend of mine for a long time."

"Wait, how old are you?" Elena questioned, furrowing her eyebrows tilting her head to the side.

"Well, technically I'm forty years old, but I think I stopped aging around twenty two."

"So, do you age like a v - "

"Wait," Elena cut Officer Forbes off, sending her an apologetic look. "So why did you need to find Alaric?"

"I'm in trouble," Meluna's eyes trailed towards Alaric with pleading eyes. "I'm being hunted."

///
19 november, 2019 - unedited

i'm alive