[ CHAPTER FIVE ]

present day

Here she was again, the woods. She found it dumb that she never really got over the loss of Malachai. He wasn't dead, of course, but he might as well be if he was never gonna come back. Wandering in the woods, Luna found herself regretting it. She should've just went home, where she would be warm and out of the way of harming anyone.

It was going to rain soon and her chest shuttered. Last time a thunderstorm happened, she caused a power outage in the town that lasted a few days, once more community damage involving trees and other peoples' possessions. Meluna hissed, clenching her jaw as she tried to keep control over her body.

"Hey, are you okay out there?" a voice called out. Female, younger-sounding. Meluna turned her head and found a brunette, staring at her. She was short, but taller than Meluna herself. "Hey," the girl breathed out, approaching Meluna as she walked backwards. "I'm not gonna do you any harm, it's okay."

"What are you doing out here?"

"I could ask you the same thing. I mean, I do have a friend who lives around here." the girl shrugged.

"I'm waiting for a friend." Meluna shrugged, uncomfortable with herself. Luna wanted the girl to just go already, to leave her alone.

"I'll wait with you, how's that sound?" the girl sat herself on the rock beside Luna. "I'm Elena Gilbert," and she put her hand out.

"M-" she had to clear her throat. "I like your name. I'm Luna." Meluna was uneasy about shaking Elena's hand, she might shock her. But she could always try to, she'd never know if her efforts would work if she didn't try.

Meluna grabbed Elena's hand and shook it. Things didn't seem to go wrong. Elena just smiled.

"So... If you have a friend who lives around, why aren't you with them?" Meluna was new to the friend thing. The only friend she'd had was Malachai and he scared off anyone he didn't like, which was everyone. But even then, she had enough common sense to know you usually stick with your friend, unless you were playing hide and seek. Everyone always gets caught when they're hiding with a friend.

"Well, I'm actually going through a rough patch right now, so I decided on taking a walk. My friend left town but I still visit his house. However my other friend is still here, but he's busy." Elena confessed. She didn't want to go into exact detail with a complete stranger. Small talk with the slightest details were always the best. "What about you? Why are you waiting for your friend in the middle of the woods? It's kind of creepy, isn't it? You didn't meet this friend online, did you?"

"No!" Meluna exclaimed, frightening Elena, making her jump a bit. "I mean, no. I didn't meet him online. He's my best friend, been my best friend for a long time... He's just... He's coming, but it might take him a while, so you don't really have to wait with me. You can go back, it's okay."

"You know what? Why don't you come back to my house with me? It's going to rain soon, I can hear it. It's not gonna be fun when you wait out here during the storm. Your friend probably knows too, which makes me think that he went home and forgot to call you?" Elena offered standing up. She didn't hold her hand out or anything, she stood there, putting more weight into her left side as she waited Meluna's response.

"Wait a second, did you just say you can hear the storm coming?" Luna cleared her throat, perking up. She asked, but she knew already.

"What?" Elena's pupils dilated. "No, I didn't mention anything about that."

But Meluna only tilted her head. What the hell was wrong with her eyes? Was she on drugs? "No, I could've sworn I heard you say you could hear it."

"Come on. I'll whip us up some hot cocoa," Elena grabbed Meluna's wrist, but immediately let go as she felt an intense zap shoot through her. "Ouch! What the hell was that?"

"Sorry!" the awkward girl exclaimed with a frown. "It was an accident, I don't know how to control it yet. I mean I guess that was why I was nervous to be around you, I didn't wanna accidentally do something I'd regret." she babbled, something she did when she was anxious and uncomfortable. If Elena had gotten shocked during this, the pain would've been a lot more stronger.

It was Elena's turn to be confused. But instead of questioning her right then and there, she decided that maybe she shouldn't bombard her with questions out in the woods. She should be polite and invite her in, questioning her at the her resident at Whitmore.

"Oh no, it's fine!" Elena smiled. "Just follow me, okay?" Elena wanted to brush it off, as if maybe Meluna had worn a shock bracelet (maybe they exist) and it bad malfunctioned. She didn't want the new girl to feel weird, otherwise she'd refuse following along.

The made little small talk on the way to the boarding house. But nothing that exposed one another to the supernatural world.

As soon as they'd made it to the house, it started pouring out of nowhere. Rain just fell from the sky, but it made sense because it was cloudy.

"And here it is. Home sweet home..." Elena announced as she pulled her coat off. Her head shot back to Meluna, "you can come in, don't be shy."

As soon as Meluna had stepped in, she felt...free? All the static friction she was feeling earlier was completely gone. Elena had disappeared into the house, leaving Meluna confused as to where to go. So she tried to be normal, which it never worked in her favor, but she did it.

She walked around the cozy-looking dorm, tinkering with all of the accessories, running her finger along picture frames, the wall, anything that tickled her fancy. Touch was Meluna's strongest suits and she felt lost without it. She stopped abruptly, eyes scanning desperately over a framed photo as she tilted her head in confusion.

"This can't be right," Luna mumbled to herself, grabbing the heavy frame. Her polished finger brushed over the glass, covering the face of someone she swore she once knew. "Stefan Salvatore?"

"You know Stefan?" Elena asked, holding two green mugs.

///
i hate this.