[ CHAPTER SEVEN ]

present day

"You two know each other?" Elena cocked her head to the side. Maybe if Stefan were here, he could explain why she was so enticing and pleasurable to have around.

"Yeah, I met him a while ago..." Luna couldn't believe her eyes. The photo looked like it was taken forever ago, considering when they met he'd looked the way he'd looked in the photo. Then again, Luna didn't look like she had aged at all either, which she didn't. "He was the only other person other than my family who knew that I was a fox."

"Fox? Luna, I don't understand," Elena was confused. What the hell did foxes have anything to do with her? Elena hadn't refreshed herself on mythology in a while, so it was safe to say that she had no idea what Meluna was capable of.

"Stefan has been a long time friend. Not only to me, but my family as well. When I met him, it was in a little town in Portland. When we met, he told me he knew what I was. A fox." Luna tried to explain. "And I know we just met, so you're probably confused as to why I'm opening up so easily. But the same thing that happened between us, happened with Stefan back when I met him, which led me to believe that you are a vampire."

Elena nodded her head, still not following what this girl was going on about. What did she mean by fox? Momentarily, the Damon in her subconscious had made some comment about how this girl was off her rocker and desperately needed to get off whatever drugs she was taking. Ironic.

"And you're giving me that look that says you're confused, trust me, I understand." But that didn't stop Elena from offering an encouraging smile. "So, by fox, I mean I come from a family of kitsunes."

"Did you just say kitsunes? I'm sorry, but I think I've heard about them before. Could you tell me a little more about them?"

"Um, kitsunes are divided into the thirteen elements. For instance, my mom's name is Kasai — fire kitsune. My father is Tengoku, the heaven kitsune. And my siblings are all kitsunes as well. Kaze is wind. Chikyu is earth. Kawa is a river kitsune. Yama is mountain. And so on." She awkwardly smiled, nodding her head.

"And what are you?" Elena questioned. Meluna didn't even know this girl. She knew Stefan, but he seemed to trust her. So she trusted him that Elena was trustworthy.

"I'm not exactly a kitsune. While I do have qualities of a thunder kitsune, I am frankly not. I have different aura and my eyes are completely opposite of a thunder kitsune's."

[ — ]

June 7, 1999

"So, thunder kitsune?" Stefan guessed as the two sat quietly in the library. They sat at the table with M&M's sprawled out, as a game, and they were having fun.

Meluna grinned, reaching over to take one of his M&M's, placing it on her side. "Nope, but close."

"What? No, I get to take mine back, there's no lying in this game — " Stefan leaned over the table, going to snatch his M&M back but Meluna slapped his hand.

"Stop, it's my turn. You, Stefan Salvatore, — hmm," she hummed. "Vampire."

Stefan grumbled to himself, chucking one of his M&M's onto her pile. The object of the game was to get to know each other. Each person would make an assumption about the other. If it's right, they earn an M&M; wrong, then they lose one. To ask a question, instead of making an assumption, payment was double the M&M's.

Then Stefan slid two M&M's across the table. "If you're not a thunder kitsune, what are you?"

Meluna cleared her throat, placing her forearms on the table. "So here's the thing... Remember when you assumed that I was loved by my family, and I took one of your M&M's?"

"It was a joke, but I let you take it anyway. Yes, why?" Stefan nodded his head, following where she was going.

"Right, so, I come from a family of kitsunes — which is rare. Families of kitsunes are reborn together, so when we die off, which will be later into the future, new kitsunes are born. Maybe next time it won't be a family though because I am a sole example of why it shouldn't happen." Meluna popped a brown M&M in her mouth to help her swallow her spit. "Families of kitsunes are extremely rare, and I mean, it's only happened like three times in all of time, rare. Cause when you start to have a family of kitsunes, you're open to getting curse foxes. Not exactly kitsunes, but all kinds of foxes. Like my brother Kukan, he's a void kitsune, he feeds on chaos. Chaos is the only thing that keeps him going, so he manipulates things and people."

Stefan was following along perfectly. He was so into the topic, he wanted to jump in and ask questions. "And you? You said you were an example as to why kitsunes shouldn't have families? Cursed fox?"

"Exactly," Meluna slid one of her M&M's to Stefan for a correct assumption. "I'm a Raijū. I feed off of electricity, but anything having to do with it, I get crazy. And the reason I'm cursed is because my mythology. I kill people because my powers are harder to control, and even with them under control, there's no guarantee that I won't lash out the next thunderstorm."

Stefan's eyes were widened. "Amazing. This is so much — the topic is so wonderful."

[ — ]

present day

"So, Raijū? What kind of animal exactly is that?" Elena furthered their discussion. Elena had to admit, Meluna was an interesting girl.

"Well, since there have only been a few ever known, I only know of weasels, cats, and wolves. I'm actually the first raijū vixen." she tried to use the word that Stefan had once used, but it sounded so awkward coming out of her mouth.

An audible clap of thunder had caused Meluna to jump, sending a string of thunder from her body. She shuttered, feeling herself become someone she hated to become, a thrilling shock rattling her bones.

"Please tell me thunder storms don't change the mood of your fox." but Elena already knew the answer to that.

///
hi this is still a thing.