Chapter 3

After Victoria and Elizabeth finished getting ready, they both walked arm in arm down the stairs and into the foyer, where their father was speaking with Will Turner, and though Victoria hears her father telling him to thank his master for the sword he was shown, she doesn't need to see Will's disappointed expression to know that he was actually the one to make it. And yet, he still bowed to him, which angered her the slightest bit. Would he, truly, never stand up for himself?
     In the middle of whatever it was he had been saying that the moment--Victoria was much too irritable to focus on his words--he cut off just as she and Elizabeth caught his eyes, and though he gave her a flattering expression as well, his eyes remained trained on her little sister, and though he looked like he wanted more than anything to say something at that moment, he stood speechless. Their father, however, turned and spotted the two.
     "Elizabeth, you look stunning!" His arms were held out as if he was introducing an audience to them as they walked down the stairs the rest of the way, and his eyes were then on his eldest daughter, of whom he gave an even bigger smile to. "And, Victoria...spectacular."
     Though her cheeks flushed with his approval, she still felt irritated, simply offering him a hesitant smile before turning away.
     "Will," Elizabeth said, and her happiness of seeing him was quite obvious--though clearly not to their father, of whom Victoria knew wouldn't approve of such a chosen man. "It's so good to see you!" Her hands were suddenly on the chain around her neck, and though Victoria gave her a warning look she did not catch it. "I dreamt about you last night--and Victoria, she did too, of course."
     Will's eyes widened somewhat, and much to the eldest Swann daughter's amusement, his cheeks flushed. "R-really?" He cleared his throat, looking from one sister to the other, and averted his gaze from Victoria when she gave him something of a smirk.
     Their father, meanwhile, was stammering in his spot, having had looked uncomfortable enough when Elizabeth had admitted to dreaming about the man, and even more so when she mentioned Victoria, clearly distraught as he looked back and forth between the three of them. "Elizabeth, this is hardly appropriate-"
     "About the day we met," Elizabeth continued as if the governor hadn't just spoken, and Victoria felt her brows raise in approval. "Do you remember?"
     Will suddenly looked more comfortable, his eyes focused on Elizabeth's again. "I could never forget it, Miss Swann."
     Victoria visibly cringed.
     "Will," Elizabeth said, her voice holding something of a warning, and her sister didn't have to look to know that her small smile was gone, "how many times must I ask you to call me Elizabeth?"
     "At least once more, Miss Swan," Will said, eyes now flickering from her to her sister and back again. "As always."
     Victoria tightened her hold around Elizabeth's arm in something of a comforting motion in response to her little sister's fallen face. And, though she is clearly disappointed, and somewhat hurt by Will's words, Elizabeth holds herself together, choosing to simply stare at him with an unreadable expression, which Will returns with one of his own.
     "Well said!" the governor said loudly, grinning at Will. "There's a boy who understands propriety. Now, we must be going." He stepped forth, taking a case from Will's arms before walking up to the door and drawing it open, though he waited for his daughters.
     Victoria let go of Elizabeth as the both of them gathered their skirts, and she waited for her sister to go ahead of her.
     "Good day," Elizabeth said as she passed Will, heading for the carriage that awaited outside, "Mr. Turner."
     "Good day," Will called after Elizabeth as she climbed into the carriage, though he gave Victoria a smile and nod when she glanced his way. She had just thrown another glance his way the instant she climbed into the carriage when she saw his mouth form her sister's name. "Elizabeth."
     Victoria turned just in time to see her father glaring at both herself and her sister. "My dears, I do hope you demonstrate a bit more decorum in front of Commodore Norrington. After all, it is only through his efforts that Port Royal has become at all civilized."
     A quiet snort followed his words, and Victoria looked outside as she muttered, "What is civilized these days?"
     "What was that?" her father snapped.
     "Nothing," she quickly said, looking back over at him and offering him a tight smile. "Just musing about what a charming young man Will is." When Elizabeth kicked her ankle discreetly--the best she could under both their dresses, that was--she only turned the smile to her.
     As usual, her father had nothing to say.