Chapter 21

Treasure was thrown into the air as a grenade went off, thrown by a pirate, aimed straight for Will, of whom had fortunately jumped and rolled out of the way just in time to evade it. Though the noise distracted Jack and Barbossa, it was only momentary, and then the two captains were back to striking at one another, swords clashing expertly.

The pirate that had meant to throw Will sky-high with the treasure rushed after him, raising his sword just as the blacksmith raised his arm in defense, and he grumbled out, "I'm gonna teach you the meaning of pain!"

"Do you like pain?" Elizabeth, who had snuck up during the whole process, Victoria not far from her, struck the pirate across the face with a large golden staff, knocking him straight to the ground, teeth bared, hair strung across her face. "Try wearing a corset."

Behind her, Victoria's eyes flitted around the room, having had calmed when she noted that Will seemed somewhat unharmed, though now her main concern was Jack. Finally, she spotted him, and her jaw slackened.

He and Barbossa fought within the moonlight, and not only was the foul captain of the Black Pearl that of a skeletal figure, but Sparrow was as well.

"What..." Victoria trailed off, shaking her head, as her sister helped Will to his feet.

"Whose side is Jack on?" she heard her sister ask breathlessly, but she didn't bother glancing their way, her gaze entirely focused on the fighting pirates.

"At the moment?" Will never finished, leaving it at that.

She turned just in time to spot Elizabeth running towards a small group of pirates standing among the treasure, Will heading after her; and, concerned, she quickly searched her surroundings before spotting a sword not far off, surprisingly in good condition despite how old she was sure it was. Racing towards it, she dropped down into a crouch, fingers locking around the hilt. All too quickly, there was a blade beneath her chin.

"We've really gotta stop meeting like this, love," Cyrus's voice crooned out, very much as if it was a warm and personal greeting between the two.

Despite how his sword was pushing against her skin, she kept her hold on the sword she had just discovered, glaring up at him. "Have you nothing better to do, then?" She was surprised he wasn't in a fight with Jack; but then, perhaps he and Barbossa had decided to do a little one-on-one that Cyrus had remarkably decided to respect. But then, she wasn't all too surprised that he was in that cave since she and the crew hadn't discovered him lurking anywhere on the Pearl. He still didn't strike her as the sort to encourage sword play with a woman.

But then, she wasn't just any other woman.

"Oh, there's plenty to do," he responded, eyes wild, before he nodded to the sword in her hand, backing up just enough to encourage her to move, though he kept his blade pointed at her, his posture prepared to strike quick if need be. "Go on, then. Pick it up."

She hesitated, lips pursed, eyes narrowed suspiciously, before her lips parted, but she didn't even get any room to speak.

"Pick. It. Up." He snarled those words out, though he was grinning like a madman, his teeth pressed tight together, brows pitched up as he regarded the young woman before him, looking disarmingly determined. Almost like he wanted to kill her, but not without a fair fight; or, perhaps he just wanted to toy with her. With him, it was hard to tell.

Slowly, she locked her grip around the hilt, and pushed herself to her feet, guarded as she observed him closely. She was pretty sure she heard her sister; but, fortunately, if the two of them were spotted, they were not approached. Who knew what rash decisions he would make if they were?

Aztecs' CurseOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara