Chapter 47

A few days later, Nathan met Nareesha for tea.

"So, tell me...how is everything?" she asked, wide-eyed with anticipation.

Nathan smiled. "It is going very well. We see each other all the time. I'm at his place...he's at my place. We are pretty close."

Nareesha smiled and nodded. "Okay, what is wrong?"

Nathan shook his head. "Nothing is wrong."

"Are you happy?"

Nathan nodded.

"Have you heard from..."

"No and I don't want to either." He lied.

Nareesha's eyes widened then she looked down at her crumpet.

Nathan knew she had seen something. He glanced over his shoulder and there was Curls with some guy.

Curls, was talking to the host when he happened to see Nathan looking at him.

"Shit." Nathan said after he turned around quick. "What is he doing?"

"The host is seating them in the corner." Nareesha said.

"Well, I am not going to let it ruin our tea okay?"

Nareesha smiled then was about to bring up a new topic when she saw Curls heading over. "He is coming over."

"Fuck." Nathan said under his breath.

"Hello." Curls said to both of them.

Nareesha smiled. "Hello."

Curls squatted beside Nathan and looked at him. "I just thought I'd say hi."

Nathan raised an eyebrow. "You don't want to keep your date waiting."

Curls moved in a bit closer. "Business lunch actually."

"I am just going to run to the restroom quick."

Nathan shook his head at her.

She smiled then left.

"I wanted to apologize for the other night at the club."

Nathan just listened.

"I didn't know you were with that man."

Nathan nodded.

Curls noticed the bracelet on Nathan's wrist. It was a black band with a white music staff on it. "This is cute." He said tracing his finger over it.

Nathan was again annoyed at himself for feeling excited by his touch. "Gavin bought it for me."

Curls nodded. "So are things pretty serious then?"

Nathan hesitated. "I guess. I mean...I dunno."

He immediately felt like shit for acting like it wasn't a big deal just because he was talking to Curls.

A few moments of awkward silence passed then Curls said, "I honestly would like to be your friend."

"I dunno."

Curls looked hurt. "Okay, well think about it."

Just then Nareesha was heading back over.

Curls stood up. "It was nice seeing you." He said then waved at Nareesha and headed back over to his lunch partner.

Nareesha sat down and waited for Nathan to say something.

Nathan shoved a cookie in his mouth and chewed.

"Okay, so are you going to tell me what happened?"

Nathan shrugged as he continued to chew.

Nareesha sipped her tea and waited.

Nathan swallowed. "He wants to be friends."

"Really?"

"Can you believe that?"

Nareesha nodded slowly. "It is sweet. He wants to be with you even if he can't. Aww."

Nathan shook his head. "Somewhere Tom's head is exploding."

Nareesha laughed. "He is so adorable and he hasn't stopped sneaking glances over here."

Nathan loved Nareesha but she was making it harder for him to get over Curls when she said shit like that.

"Well, he can look all he wants. I am with Gavin."

"Who are you trying to convince?"

Nathan sighed. "Please don't do that okay? Don't you want me to be happy?"

"Yes I do." She said.

Nathan looked back over his shoulder and Curls was looking at him. He gave him a smirk.

Nathan quickly turned back. "I need to go. I can't sit here anymore."

Nareesha looked like she wanted to say something but thought better of it.

"What? What do you want to say?"

"Nothing sweetie." She said then tapped his hand with hers.

"Nareesha." He said sternly.

She put her napkin down on the table then said, "It's just. How can you honestly say you are over him if you can't even be a few feet away?"

"I am trying to get over it okay?"

"But why? Why force yourself to..."

"He is no good for me okay?" Nathan said then stood up. "I'm going to go pay. I'll be right back."

Nareesha glanced over at Curls.

He watched Nathan walk across the room then he glanced at her and gave her a small smile.