Chapter 5

Text from Tom: I'm downstairs bro.

Nathan grabbed his jacket and headed out of his flat.

He had promised Tom he'd go to the hardware store with him.

Tom had punched a hole in the wall during one of his drunken fights with Kelsey and it needed to be patched up.

Max had been bugging him for weeks to patch it up.

Tom and Max had been flat mates since Nathan met them.

They were the perfect roomies. They were both sluts and slobs. It was a match made in heaven.

"Morning sunshine." Tom said loudly.

Nathan had a beanie and shades on. "I don't understand why we have to go so bloody early."

Tom put his arm around Nathan's neck. "I told you. I've got a bet with Max that the wall wouldn't be fixed by this evening. I am not losing money."

Nathan groaned.

"Sooooo, how was the date?"

Nathan smirked.

Tom stopped and stood before him. "You got laid!"

Nathan smiled and shook his head.

"YOU GOT LAAAAID."

Nathan looked around in panic. "Will you keep it down."

Tom laughed. "Fuck me. It's about bloody time."

Nathan checked his phone then frowned.

"What the fuck is the matter? You should be riding high off of this bro."

"I am but...I dunno."

"Oh was it shitty?"

Nathan shook his head. "No, it was...well....very good."

"So what is your bloody problem?"

Nathan shrugged. "Just haven't heard from her at all."

Tom stopped walking and looked at him. "Bro, it was last night. I say thank god you haven't heard from her."

Nathan rolled his eyes. "I like her Tom."

"You just met her for fuck's sake."

Nathan sighed. "You wouldn't understand."

Tom rolled his eyes.

Just then they approached the hardware store.

Nathan decided to give her some time. Perhaps she was busy.

Two days later, he was going crazy wondering what was going on.

She had texted him back a few times, but they were very generic and vague responses.

Nathan narration: Why is it always the ones you like? She is normal, pretty and likes footie! I thought we had hit it off, but it just doesn't seem like she is interested.

How can you really tell though? Why can't people in the dating world just tell it like it is? If you don't like me...tell me. If you are using me to get over someone else...just fucking tell me.

In this case, I really have no clue what I could have done wrong. It is like Max and Tom say. It really is just a big game.

You never really think you can go stalker until you sleep with someone you like and they do not reciprocate.

I keep making excuses telling myself that she is too busy or perhaps something happened. Maybe she lost my number? Maybe she is also nervous and is wondering what I am thinking?

I found myself thinking...in a world of digital quick responses...why do I feel a great communication need?

-----

"Mate, take the bloody hint. She is NOT interested." Max said over a beer after Thursday's footie practice.

"That is not true. She sent me a text from work."

Max shook his head. "Mate, you asked her how work was going and she responded 2 hours later."

Nathan frowned.

Tom felt badly or him. "Hey, we should go out tonight."

Max was intrigued. "Out where?"

"A club. Come on. When is the last time we all went clubbing?" Tom asked.

"It has been a while. "Max admitted. He then turned to Nath. "What do you say bro?"

Nathan shrugged. "I suppose so." He said with little enthusiasm.

"Fantastic. We are going to the club with Eeyore." Max joked.