04

ONCE IN A LIFETIME

ONCE IN A LIFETIME

When we landed in L.A. I was surprised that I wasn't drunk. The woman had said the words "boy band" three dozen times during the DVD. The deal had only been for that video, however, so when we switched to others I could no longer use a game to occupy myself. I had to suffer through and learn things about Tripp I did not care to know.

The others came down from the second level of the jet as Tripp and I finished putting the DVDs away after we landed.

         Nancy marched right over to me expectantly. "Well, what have we learned?"

         I stood straight, equipped with enough Tripp trivia to last a lifetime. "Tripp Vance Rivers was born in Akron, Ohio twenty-two years ago to two working class parents. He's an only child, and grew up being close to his cousin Carter and their two friends Phoenix James and Johnny D'Amato.

         "They were a wild group, often getting in trouble, resulting in plenty of after school detentions. It was there that they were discovered by their music teacher, as she had been walking by and heard them singing together out of boredom." I took a deep breath, showing my annoyance for having to recite the three DVDs I'd watched. "Their music teacher got them together, trained them, put them in talent shows, they were discovered by a mega record producer, Tripp eventually went solo, the end."

         Nancy didn't appear amused. "Elaborate."

         I rolled my eyes. What was this? Jeopardy?

         "Tripp likes long walks on the beach, he prefers Taco Bell to real authentic Mexican food, he only eats spaghetti when he has a craving, his favorite actor is Leonardo DiCaprio, and he always cries when he watches This Boy's Life—"

         "Hey, I don't cry, I tear up," Tripp corrected.

         "Yeah, he cries, he bought his first home when he was eighteen, giving it to his parents, his dog's name is Snickers, and gag me before I have to go on, please!" I sighed, not wanting to say anymore.

         Nancy came closer and patted my cheek. "You have a mouth only a mother could love. Thank God that's not me." She looked down at her itinerary and typed something down. "That'll do for now, Miss Beckett. We'll quiz you more later."

         "So we're good?" Tripp asked, clasping his hands together hopefully.

         "Yeah, you made sure to do damage control over the Jessica Stanley incident, didn't you?"

         "I sent out a message on my Facebook and Instagram page, my website, and a few tweets, which Justin retweeted for me."

         Nancy perked a brow, confusion masking her face. "Which Justin, little Justin or big Justin?"