05

WHAT MAKES YOU BEAUTIFUL

All I could remember from the night before was pizza, soda, and then utter blackness. There was a ringing in my ear as I felt myself lying flat on the ground, a soft, cushiony ground. I was oddly comfortable in this state of ignorance.

"Miss Beckett?" a voice interrupted my peace, beseeching my attention.

         "Chloey?" another voice spoke up next.

         My eyes fluttered open to see Nancy and Gavin standing over me.

         I immediately sat up, too fast however, as a pounding came to my head. Ugh, the aftermath of a sugar rush.

         "Time to get up and ready for the photo shoot," Nancy announced.

         We were in Tripp's leisure room. I was lying in the comforter Tripp had had Gavin buy for me. Mick, Teddy, and Tripp were laying nearby, sleeping on other sets of comforters. There was writing on Tripp's face. I peered closer, seeing the words 'I'm a singa' scrawled onto his cheek.

         I chuckled, shaking my head. That was rich.

         "You haven't seen a mirror," Nancy spoke up, leaning down and holding up a compact. Gazing at my reflection I discovered that I too had writing on my face. The words 'I'm a winna' was written on my cheek.

         Okay, this was not funny.

         "People can be so juvenile," Gavin sympathized, shaking his head while he crossed his arms over his chest. While he appeared to be serious, the ink on his hands gave him away.

         "Funny," I began, "seeing how you're the one with ink on your hands."

         Gavin merely grinned away his admission.

         "Rise and shine, boys!" Nancy ordered loudly, waking Tripp, Mick, and Teddy. "The wardrobe has arrived and the stylists will be here in an hour. The shoot starts at eleven and it's already eight-thirty. Up, up!"

         Wardrobe? Stylists? 8:30 a.m.? What?

         "Huh?" I asked.

         "In due time, Miss Becket. Now go on, get yourself together."

         I gathered my comforter and folded it together, grabbing the pillow as well.

         Gavin clasped his together. "Hey, we gotta take care of your face ASAP. Let me go get my bag."

         "You're kidding."

         "Oh no, Gav's obsessed with clear skin," Mick chimed in.

         "Only so many of us are aesthetically blessed at birth. We owe it to the ugly ones to at least take care of our beauty," Gavin said.