09

UP ALL NIGHT

UP ALL NIGHT

When the interview was over Tripp kindly ushered Alec to the door while Gavin and I sat in the dining room. I hadn't touched my burger, too grossed out by Tripp's attitude and behavior to do so.

If this was the real him, I definitely wanted no part of being around him any longer, because that would mean he was exactly who I thought he was. Though, if it wasn't the real him, I wanted to know why he'd put on an act. Surely his fans would've rather read something where Tripp was just being himself, not some phony.

         Tripp stepped back into the room, grinning like he'd just won the lottery, but with his bank account he wouldn't even need it.

         I could only take one more look at him before standing from the table and going off to my room, shutting the door, and leaving the conceited pop star out. A part of me felt bad at the idea of asking to go home, but then another part was able to take Tripp's words and see that he wouldn't care. He had his "work" anyway.

         There was a knock at the door, coming from either Tripp or Gavin, but by some instinct I knew it was Tripp.

         "Come in," I said, going and sitting on my bed, prepared to have it out with Tripp.

         Tripp entered the room, his smile gone and worry masking his face. "What's wrong, Clover?"

         I shrugged, unable to look at him. "I think I should go home, Tripp."

         He crossed the room quickly, standing before me in seconds. "What? Why?"

         I'd never been good at saying no to anyone's face before. Staring into Tripp's intense gray eyes didn't make it any easier. That weird look of his had resurfaced, discomforting me.

         "It just isn't working out. It would probably be best if I went home."

         Tripp sat next to me, sighing as he raked a hand through his hair. "What's wrong? I thought everything was going fine."

         From the start I'd been honest with him. Why stop?

         "After watching and hearing your interview I just don't think we're going to get along."

         "Why not?" Tripp grabbed my hand, forcing me to look at him.

         "Because you're just who I thought you were. That arrogant pop star that's too into himself. If that's who you are, fine, but it's not for me."

         "Being confident equals arrogance?"

         "No, bragging does. Let's just cut our losses, Tripp. It's not going to work out."

         A hard expression took Tripp's face, a hint of anger present as he took his hand back. The gray in his eyes darkened, causing me to unsettle. "You're not even trying, Chloey. That's not fair."