Prologue

Voices woke me from my sleep and I twitched my ears. I could feel my mother's fur and her warm breath on my face. Other voices spoke in whispers, voices that I did not recognize. Curiosity encouraged me to slowly open my eyes.

The world was dark at first then I noticed a few streaks of sunlight. I must be in a dark place. My vision was blurry at first but, eventually, it cleared up.

I turned my face up to my mother's so that her face would be the first thing I saw. She looked down at me with kind, pale green eyes and smiled upon seeing my eyes open. Her fur was a dark cream that made her stand out from the darkness. Giggling, I reached out my paw to bat at her nose. When I saw my own fur, it was a pale cream color.

"Jahi, her eyes are open!" Mother spoke excitedly. Her voice was soft and soothing, a welcome sound to my ears.

A new face appeared in front of me. Mother had called him Jahi. His fur was dark cream like Mother's but around his face and neck was longer, pale brown fur. I didn't know what to call it but it intrigued me.

"She's beautiful, Sarafina," Jahi whispered in my mother's ear. So that was mother's name! Sarafina... "What should we name her?"

Sarafina leaned in closer and nuzzled me, which caused me to purr. I imitated her movement and nuzzled her back. Happiness gleamed in my mother's eyes. "Let's name her Nala, it means 'beloved'."

Jahi licked between Sarafina's ears. "That's perfect." He looked down at me and smiled. "Hello, Nala, welcome to the pride."