Chapter 21

Dawn came early that morning, and I dragged myself outside. Every morning Sarabi sent out patrols. I sat with the other lionesses gathered at the base of Priderock. The sun had barely risen and I parted my jaws in a yawn. Sarabi stood at the center, ordering hunting patrols.

"Sarafina take Naanda, Layla, Katura, Bina, Armani, Tama, and Kula. Dwala, take Ramla, Afra, Issa, Saran, and Nala." Sarabi ordered, "Everyone else, you're with me." All the lionesses found their groups and started heading out.

I padded towards Dwala and the rest of the patrol. Saran greeted me with a slight nod. Dwala started to lead the group away from Priderock when a voice behind us stopped us in our tracks.

"Actually-" Everyone turned their heads to see Zira walking towards us. Her red eyes glinted in the sunlight and she looked menacing with her long, curved claws. "I would like to borrow Nala for a bit."

I froze, unsure of how to respond. All my instincts told me to run and get as far away from Zira as I possibly could, but I had to react politely. Whether I liked it or not, she was the Queen. If I disrespected her, Scar could have me killed.

So I stepped away from the security of the patrol and walked towards Zira. I tried to stand tall and approach her with dignity. In my head, I reminded myself of all the training I've done. I wasn't a little cub anymore.

"Yes, Zira?" I dipped my head respectfully to her and a crooked grin found her face.

She started to walk off, "Come, Nala, we have much to discuss."

I reluctantly followed the wiry lioness, each step taking me further from the security of Priderock. Without Zira noticing, I unsheathed my claws in preparation for the worst. But if Scar wanted to harm me, why would he have Zira do it? She needed to stay at Priderock to look after Nuka.

The direction that Zira headed brought us away from Priderock past the waterhole. In the days of the drought, I've explored every blade of grass in the Pridelands. Well, every place except for the gorge. I-I could never bring myself to look upon the place where Mufasa and Simba died.

Simba's body was never recovered, and I was aware of Sarabi's visits to the gorge. Every now and then, she would leave in the middle of the night. I followed her once almost completely to the gorge. The only explanation is that she searched for Simba. It broke my heart to know that she still silently grieved for her lost son.

The ground underpaw became rocky and the grass faded away. Soon, we stood at the edge of the cliff, looking down upon the gorge. The hairs along my spine stood straight. This place spooked me.

"Nala, I'm certain that you've the heard the rumors, everyone has." Zira sat down and motioned for me to settle beside her. "I am barren and cannot give Scar another cub, one that could succeed him. Nuka could never rule, so Scar still needs an heir."

I knew exactly where this conversation was going. But I acted surprised, naive. "I'm sorry to hear that, Zira." My tone was colder than I expected, and I hoped that she didn't notice.

"Yes, well, it appears that I'm not destined to bear a healthy cub." For a moment, I caught the strain in Zira's voice, saw past the wall she put up to hide her emotions. Then the moment passed and she returned to her cold self. "Like I said, Scar needs an heir. He's noticed your strength Nala, your perseverance. You're strong and the Pride respects you despite your young age. You, Nala, are the perfect lioness to give him that heir."

I pretended to act surprised. I used my anger and sadness to cover the fact that I've known for a while. My blue eyes glinted with fear, "Z-Zira, I don't know if I can do that...I don't want a cub."

Zira's red eyes hardened. "Listen, you wouldn't need to raise this cub. I would adopt it as soon as it is weaned. The cub will never need to know that you're its mother." Zira sighed upon seeing my discomfort. "One cub, Nala, just one. You would be doing your Pride a great service."

My body was shaking and my throat tightened. I couldn't speak. How could she ask this of me so bluntly, so deprived of emotion? Did she even understand what she was asking of me?

"What if I don't consent this?" I asked quietly.

Zira stood up and stepped closer to me so that she looked more menacing. "We're not asking for your permission, Nala. I thought that I'd at least offer you the chance to willingly oblige. I guess this'll need to be done the hard way."

I bared my teeth at her angrily, "I may be a lion of Priderock, but you don't own me! You can't force me to bear a cub against my will!"

Zira snarled, moving so close that our noses nearly touched. "Oh yes we can, and we will. Watch your back, Nala dear." Then she spun and raced back towards Priderock.

I stood there, shaking. This was really happening. Scar was going to force me to have his cub.

~

A/N
Please vote/comment! Love that you guys are enjoying this story!