Chapter 21 Failure

We got back at school just about twenty minutes late for sex education class. I didn’t talk. Just after we parked, I hurried and went out of the car. They probably thought I was in a hurry for class, but I just wanted Alex to notice that something’s off. He didn’t. He was too occupied by Winnie. I left them behind and went first in class. I thought I didn’t care what they thought, but I did especially Alex.

                I let the whole day pass by. I never got the chance to talk to Alex for the rest of that day. We passed our projects with Steve and all, but I just did it all without talking to Alex or Winnie. When SexEd was over, I left as quick as I could, but still, Alex didn’t notice. That’s when I knew I didn’t have a chance. I trudged out to the hall the moment I heard the bell rang. I crossed through all the commotions of the students that did all they wanted. I planned on going to my locker even when the hall was filled with couples that were kissing, girl groups, bullies, nerds, rich boys, and all the other assholes that filled the rest of the school population.

                I went into my locker and slammed in all my stuffs, and I left. I shook the car keys in my pocket and planned to leave school and not attend Math class. I was just walking past a turn of the hall when I swung my sight to a group of guys that bullied a girl. I stopped walking and paid attention to the girl being bullied on the hall. I recognized the girl. It was Sharon.

                The bullies were sticking notes on her shirt and kept teasing her as she ignored and just walked. The bullies kept throwing crumbled papers and flying paper planes to her. The girls kept pushing her, and she just continued walking. She tried to walk faster, but they teased and pushed her. One guy came up from behind her and pushed her with force. It was so strong the she fell to the ground and dropped her book she was holding.

                “Sharon!” I shouted as I rushed to her. The guys and girls kept laughing as she tried to get up.

                “Liyah.” She barely got up, so I went and helped her up. I got pissed with the bullies.

                I saw one of the sticky notes on her shirt and pulled it. It said FREAK on it. I looked at the bullies with rage. I smelled something on her shirt, like they splashed juice on her. The bullies kept laughing at us. The guy that pushed her down came up and pointed a finger at her.

                “Freaks.” He teased me along with Sharon, and all of them laughed.

                I calmly walked Liyah to my back. Then, I walked up to the guy that pushed her, and I stood in front of him and stared furiously. He just laughed with all the other bullies. My hands were clenching, but he seemed to be ready to block if I was to punch him.

                “Liyah.”  Sharon tried to stop me.

                I kicked the guy hard in the groin, and he barely blocked it. He fell down to down, crouching in pain. Everyone stopped laughing and reacted with astonishment. I walked to one of the girls the bullied Sharon and forcefully took the books she was holding. She didn’t try to get it back; she got a bit frightened by me. Everyone got passive and stared at what I was doing. I walked back to the guy that was still down, holding his crotch. He tried to get up, but I slammed his face hard with the books, and he was thrown down to the locker side. Then, I gave him a kick to the ribs while he was down. Everyone was going like “whoa” each time I kicked him further.

                “Anyone else gonna mess with Sharon?” I threatened the other bullies as I stomped on the guy.

                “Liyah, stop!” Sharon was about to cry.

                I looked at Sharon and back at the bullies, and I just decided to leave with Sharon. Everyone was passive and stared completely at us. Sharon and I left as all the people were crowded around the locker sides.

                “Let’s just go.” Sharon told me as we were leaving school.

                “I’ll take you home.” I told her. “I was leaving school anyways.”

                I heard a guy call me from behind, “Liyah!” he sounded like he was catching up. I turned my head and saw it was Nick. He rushed to us.

                “Hey! What’s going on?” he asked.

                “I just helped Sharon off from some bullies.” We stopped walking.

                “You okay?” Nick asked.

                “We’re fine, Nick.”

                “He’s your boyfriend, right?” Sharon asked. That usually made things awkward, but all those actions got my mood in a different way.

                “No, he’s a friend.” I said. Nick didn’t take it bad though.

                “Hi, I’m Nick.” He offered his hand.

                “Sharon.” She shook his hand.

                “So, I was about to take her home, Nick.” We started walking again. “You still have Math, so…”

                “You’re not going to Math?” he asked.

                “No. You should.” We continued walking away to the parking lot. Nick stayed behind and continued to class, so there wasn’t really anything going on around.

                So, I drove Sharon home. She barely talked like she was still in shock. I was just used to that sort of thing, so I didn’t care about what I did, except I made a promise to my mom that I would never get into a fight again, but I failed.  I wasn’t really sure about what I was doing anymore, but I was doing what I believed was right, and I didn’t want anyone to be hurt. I knew I had explaining to do at home, but I just didn’t know what to say.