14. A Brother Back

Tori

Tori

As soon as I see the tall figure in the hallway, I start.

"Adam?" He spins to face me, a crinkled, dark eyed grin lighting up his features.

"Vic," He tilts his head, opening his arms expectantly. "It's been a while."

Instantly, my bag is on the floor and I'm in his arms, a welcomed embrace from a brother I haven't seen in over six months. He's so tall. Taller than me, taller than Alex, taller than Mason. He's at least ten foot four.

No need for your measuring device, you have my word.

I bury my face in his blazer and appreciate the company. For me, even though I have a father and two brothers, I get family in small doses. I haven't spoken to my father since Christmas, even though we live under the same roof. I haven't seen Alex since he came up for the Fall, and that was only for a week.

Adam Aspen is a very busy person. Hard to get a hold of, so I'm told... by myself. Last I saw his kind smile was far before Christmas... Last Fall, maybe? It's almost Spring, now.

In all honesty, I have no idea why he doesn't come home for breaks. I mean, I'm sure Alan would have no problem throwing money at his star child. That is, if he even knows about his star child. Perhaps it's because he's all the way over in New York or someplace fancy, going to one of the highest accredited colleges ever. I think he's doing a course in business.

I really hope he's not doing anything close to accounting. That's pretty much what Alan does, and I don't think I could look at Adam if I knew he was going to end up like our father. It's not always a good thing to be successful, you know. A big bank account doesn't balance out a hollow family.

"How's Yale?" I startle myself out of my own thoughts, tired of them. I'm so tired of thinking about my stupid father and his stupid job.

"Yale is Yale," I feel him shrug inside of my embrace before moving backwards. I miss hugging my family. I suppose it's kind of hard to say when I didn't have the greatest relationship with any of them for a long time. We were related by document, nothing more.

Just before Adam graduated I started a hugging phase between the three of us. Alex hated it (but secretly loved it, of course) and Adam just found it bemusing. It was kind of like making up for the lost time I'd spent away from them, more letting myself know that I still had them.

Easy for me to say back then, when I wasn't in a cold, chalky house all alone for most of the day. Funny that I would miss the family I thought I could never have.

"Let's go get some coffee." He nods enthusiastically and I secretly wonder how his liver is going. Adam and coffee are a scary mixture.