19. The Big Date

Tori

Tori

This can't be happening.

A few minutes ago I was getting ready for school, closing the front door and stuffing my keys into my bag, and now I'm frozen. In the middle of our driveway. Fifty six stones laughing at me as I try to get a hold of myself. I can't seem to wipe the horror-struck expression off of my face.

Right there, stuck carelessly in the lawn a mere yard from me, is a For Sale sign. How did this happen so fast?

Maybe they were waiting to tell you before they actually advertised.

Well, they jumped the gun, didn't they? Finally thawing due to my bubbling temper, I stomp closer to the little sign picket and kick it with the sole of my sneaker. And again. And again, until the board is turned to oversized splinters, no trace of the realestate agent's number or name at all. Good.

There. No evidence of any divorce at all.

I really am a mess from last night. I don't need anything else crapping on my day.

And then it starts to rain. Metaphorical crap, pouring down, sizzling on the pavement. How apt.

"You need a ride?" And I twist to my right, scowl not softening for the boy-next-door. In all honesty, it annoyed me that Mason got all worked up (even if it was for a millisecond) when I mentioned Liam. What does he think? New boy moves in, I go and help him decorate him room, we fall in love?

Idiot. Things that ridiculous only happen once in a lifetime.

"I have a car." I tell him in a monotonous voice, repeating myself for what seems to be the millionth time to him. The rain is still falling, heavy teardrops that I refuse to shed. I'm so upset and hurt for a million reasons, but I'm so angry. And after sobbing my eyes out for reasons I couldn't separate, I decided I was bored with crying. I wanted to be angry, not sad. And now I'm drenched in a sudden spur of torrential rain.

"Then why are you standing in the rain?" He's grinning and I fight the urge to cringe. Not at him, exactly, but at his cheery mood. Let me be depressed, you stupid nerd/footballer. Come to think of it, I haven't even asked him if he plays football. I just assumed.

I stare at him for a moment, before realising that his dark hair is getting plastered all over his boyish face. Are all boys idiots?

"Why are you standing in the rain?" I feel my forehead crease in annoyance. "Get in your car, moron." Oops. I add the last part before catching my rudeness. This boy has been nothing but nice to me and now I'm insulting him purely because he's the same species as the boy I really want to slap right now.

His expression turns a little shocked, as if I've frightened all of the childish play out of him. Poor kid. "Look, Liam, I'm really sorry." I grimace and he nods, both of us still getting rained on. It's not that bad once you're entirely soaked.