Chapter 37 ~ Janie

**I dedicate this chapter to Jenny, my real-life Janie.**

"Knock, knock, knock," Janie's familiar voice echoes from behind Edward and myself. 

I look around as she steps through the french doors. She's already tanned, wearing white shorts and a pink-peach top over her string bikini. Her long, wavy black hair reaches the middle of her back. 

"Hey, Janie," I say like a breath of fresh air. You never realize just how much you missed someone until you see them again. 

Her eyes pop for a moment when she takes me in. I suppose I'm still down at least ten pounds since she last saw me. But her expression shifts and she approaches me with a smirk and open arms. "I see I'm just in time." She squeezes me, and I try to "think fluffy" in hopes she doesn't feel all my bones. "You need a serious makeover." 

I frown at that. 

"Leave her alone." Edward gets to his feet and hugs Janie. 

Janie glances over Edward's shoulder at me. "Since when do you defend her?"

"It's a new thing we're doing." Edward winks at me as we all take a seat, and Janie starts to pile scraps of leftovers onto a plate. 

"Dang, and I was hoping for at least one epic Ed-Ni fight." She shoves a quarter of a waffle, whole into her mouth. 

"Where's Sky?" I ask. 

Janie points her fork over her shoulder, finishes chewing, swallows, and says. "He's with some sexy dude your mom called your husband." Janie raises and eyebrow at me and waits, her green eyes penetrating. 

My cheeks ignite, I can't help it. 

Janie drops her fork. "Tell me you're kidding, Ni."

"I..."

"She's not," Edward interrupts, saving me. "Sebastian is a great guy. Very supportive." 

Janie's mouth falls open with a distinct pop. She picks up her fork again, stabs her waffle, and points it at Edward. "You're okay with this?" 

Edward shrugs. "I am now." 

Janie glares at both of us and then shoves another quarter of a waffle into her mouth. As she chews, her eyes move back and forth between Edward and myself. "I suppose Sky knows." Janie pops open a can of Sprite.

I nod. 

She takes two deep gulps and then slams the can down on the table, Sprite splashing through the top of the can all over her hand but Janie doesn't flinch. "I can't believe you told him and not me, Ni. That's seriously messed up."

"Sky's like my brother."

"And I'm not like a sister?" She snaps, her hair a bit wild and eyes fierce. "I've put up with your garbage for years. I know about your first crush," she ticks off her finger, "your first kiss," another finger, "your first time—"

"Janie—"

"No, you listen to me Ni." She jabs herself in the chest. "I'm supposed to be your freaking maid-of-honor and you didn't even tell me you were dating let alone married. Some kind of friend you are." She stabs her waffle again and I feel like she's stabbing me with her fork. 

Edward glances at me and eye-signals me to apologize. 

I shake my head. 

He reiterates the eye-signal and then softens his expression to say, please.

Ga! "Janie, I'm sorry." The words come out harsh and clipped. 

She glares at me, mouth stuffed with food. I wait for her to finish chewing and swallow. "For what?"

My cheeks burn again. I look down at the table of food. "For being a really horrible friend these past few years. To everyone—"

"Not to Sky," Janie says spitefully.

"Especially to Sky," Sky says, and I hear the patio door shut behind me and two pairs of feet approach. "What are we talking about?"

"How horrible of a friend I am," I say, keeping my head down because I just can't look at them. 

"Oh, well... Terry's on his way." 

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. I feel a hand on my back and hear the scrape of metal chair legs against the stone patio floor. Sebastian kisses my head. "It's okay, Love." 

"You call her 'Love'?" Janie snips at him. 

"I do," Sebastian answers.

"How did this happen?" she asks him like she's a detective. 

"Maybe we can tell you once Terry arrives," Sebastian suggests, and then quickly adds, "Unless Nina wants to speak with you in private." 

Janie drops her fork. I glance up as she stands. "Let's go. Girl time." 

I groan but squeeze Sebastian's hand before I follow Janie to my bedroom. The room we've spent countless hours talking, sleeping, and playing in. 

When we enter, she stares at the perfectly made bed. "Well, this is new."

"Sebastian's a bit of a neat-freak." 

Janie shakes her head. "I can't do it." She marches around the bed disheveling the sheets and covers, then lets out a sigh. "All right, hop on and spill your guts." She plops onto the bed, laying back against a mound of pillows. "Then I might forgive you." 

I give her the blow-by-blow, oddly for me not leaving much of anything out. Granted, this is Janie. I never could leave anything out once I got started. 

"I could kill him! I should  kill him!" She punches the bed. 

"I hope you're talking about Ceasar."

"Of course, I am!"

Deep breath. "Then you'll be glad to know Edward and Sebastian have some Pinky and the Brain scheme to get Ceaser locked up... so I can go to Oxford without worrying about my parents' safety." 

Janie's expression softens. "You're going to Oxford?"

"I think so." Before the words are fully out of my mouth, Janie throws herself at me meaning to hug me but my full strength is not back yet so she ends up tackling me. "Oh, man. Ni," she climbs off me and helps me sit up, "what happened to you?" 

A burning sensation climbs from my heart, through my throat, to my eyes. "I tried to starve myself to death to get away from Caesar." 

Her eyes well up, and she reaches over, takes my hand, and gently squeezes it. "We're going to get him, Ni. And you're going to be free. And you're never going to do this again — ever. I won't let you."

"Promise?"

She moves her hand so she can hook her pinky with mine. "Pinky swear." 

There's a light knock on the door. 

I turn and smile because it's Sebastian, but my smile fades at the look on his face. "What happened?"

"Stephanie called. Mrs. Finch had a stroke." 

"Oh..."

His frown deepens. "I need to go to the hospital to be with the family, and Libby's requested that you not be there."