Chapter Six - Introduction

My third test was to fight one of the Akatsuki… and win.

Surprisingly, Kisame was picked to be my sparring partner.

Unsurprisingly, I won. (Because I'm obviously that amazing.)

I ended up using one of my, according to Kisame, "underhanded" medical jutsu techniques. In all honesty, it wasn't underhanded. I didn't even give him a headache like I did last time! All I did was use my chakra blades to numb his arms again, and that was that. I only got a few nicks from Samehada and he only got a few scratches from the debris that flew up when I punched the ground. And even if it wasin the least bit underhanded, how does that saying go? "All's fair in love and war," only in this instance, there was no love involved. Which means you can modify the saying to "all's fair in war".

So there. I won, fair and square.

Kisame was pissed afterwards, but he was otherwise a good sport about it.

It was after I had completed this test that I met the Leader for the first time.

"This way, Sakura-chan! Follow Tobi!" the orange masked ninja chirped. I obeyed and followed the exuberant individual up a set of stairs that I hadn't known existed until that point in time. Granted, I hadn't really explored the house that I was staying in past the bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and family room, but still (ha ha, family room, Akatsuki, family ha ha). We had climbed the darkened staircase until we reached what had to be the third floor (what? More than one floor? I had some exploring to do), where we walked across the landing to a rather normal looking wooden door.

"Here we are," Tobi enlightened. "I'll wait here for you."

Masking my nervousness, I walked past Tobi and opened the door. I could sense no one in the large room, but I closed the door quietly and stood in front of it, waiting for whoever this Leader was to show himself.

I took the chance to look around at my surroundings, memorizing possible escape routes and noting things that looked out of place (which was hardly anything). There were large bookshelves lining the walls to my right and to my left, and directly in front of me was a large wooden desk with hardly a scrap of paper on it. The only things on the desk were a pen and a thin scroll. Behind the desk was a large, high-backed chair, facing away from me and towards the wall behind the desk. There was one door on the far right of that wall, and it was closed. I figured that this Leader would probably either come up behind me or from that door up ahead of me, so I moved a little closer to the desk to avoid being attacked by a door.

Before I had even set my foot back down after taking a small step, the chair behind the desk slowly spun around, revealing a young man (I hadn't even sensed his chakra signature) with bright orange hair and oh my God look at all of those piercings! He had tons! Literally tons of piercings all over his face, and in his arm where the sleeves rolled back when he placed his elbows on the desk.

I skillfully kept my mouth sealed shut, forcing my eyes to stay at a normal size. He looked up at my face, and his eyes were so strange: it was like he had a set of rings instead of normal irises. They were intimidating, to say the least.

It was then that he spoke. "Haruno Sakura," he said, and his voice was a deep, thoughtful sounding baritone.

I held back a gulp. "H-hai," I answered. I mentally cursed myself for stuttering. I must have sounded so stupid, like a frightened little girl.

He stared at me a moment longer, then nodded almost imperceptibly to himself, looking down at the scroll which he now held open on his desk. "Your skills are impressive for one so young. You have passed all of the tests that have been thrown at you with flying colors. You fought and killed Sasori about two years ago. You even managed to beat Kisame, not once, but twice, am I correct?"

"Hai," I affirmed.

"Your medical skills surpass even those of the Godaime Hokage, I would imagine." He looked back up at my face, staring intently into my eyes. "I would assume that you have noticed the kidnapping of medic nin of recent times, have you not?"

"I have."

"Then you would understand that the Akatsuki is in need of a medic."

I nodded.

"Then the question remains: would you be willing to join the Akatsuki as a medic? Your primary mission would be attending to the injuries of the other members, but you may be sent on others as well. Do you accept my offer?"

I knew right away that it was accept or die; and I also knew that my ongoing mission for Konoha would require me to accept; I just needed to play my part and pretend that I had to think about it. So, I spent a number of seconds looking like I was deliberating the idea of becoming a full-fledged Akatsuki. The Leader looked at me with a blank expression, awaiting my answer.

Finally, I nodded and said, "I…will accept your offer, Sir."

I wasn't sure if I was imagining it, but I could've sworn that I saw the ghost of a smile touch his pierced lips. "A good choice, Sakura. You may call me Pain, and Tobi will bring your clothes and ring to your room. You may leave," he said, returning his gaze to the scroll on his desk and picking up a pen.

I didn't hesitate. As soon as I turned around, I could just barely feel his chakra. It was quite possibly the most tremendous, ominous aura I have ever felt in my entire life.

"So," Deidara said once I arrived at the bottom of the stairs. I looked up, hiding my fear of the Leader, Pain, behind a thoughtful mask. "How'd it go, un?"

I grinned. "Well, I don't have to be killed and dumped in some random location at this point, so I think it went well."

Deidara beamed in response. "So you're a member now, un?"

I nodded, which made him smile even wider.

"That's great! I was really worried that we'd have to kill you even though you're skills are so much greater than the others, un," he said, relief evident in his tone.

Inner sweat-dropped. 'He said that so calmly.'

I brushed it off. "Yeah, that would've sucked," I replied. We both turned and walked toward the living room, where Kisame and Itachi were sitting on a couple of recliners, watching the television. Kisame looked up at our approach, and Itachi barely even flicked a glance in our direction, choosing instead to watch the flashing screen.

"You in?" Kisame asked, and I thought I saw a flicker of unease in his beady eyes. Itachi grew unnaturally still.

I smiled. "Yeah, I'm in."

Both of them relaxed instantly, Kisame grinning his shark-like smile and Itachi relaxing his posture a little.

Deidara and I went and sat on the couch that was located between the two recliners, turning our attention to the television. Kisame was in control of the remote, but was kind enough to ask me if I wanted to watch a movie. I nodded, and he flicked to a movie channel.

After a few minutes, Hidan came into the family room and sat on the far end of the couch that Deidara and I were on. "What kind of crap are you watching now?"

I turned to stare at him with a straight face, "Go get us some popcorn if you're going to complain."

He glared. "Fucking get it yourself," he retorted, settling into the couch.

I grinned. At least he didn't complain after that.

That night, I returned to my room after we had all eaten our dinner and found a folded Akatsuki cloak and a small ring sitting on my bed. I softly closed my door and walked over to my bed, sitting down next to the folded clothing.

It finally sunk in that I was part of a criminal organization, and I would be broadcasting it when I put on that cloak and that ring. I placed the ring on my desk and brought the cloak to my closet, hanging it up on one of the numerous coat-hangers.