Chapter Twenty-seven - Of Hippies and World Domination

We arrived back at the base the next morning to the comforting sounds of Hidan cussing at Kakuzu and Deidara yelling at Tobi.

Home, sweet home…

I frowned at that thought, realizing that I honestly did enjoy staying with these goofballs. And then came the inevitable doubt of my allegiance to my home country, which of course was totally unreasonable because I love Konoha, and I love the people that I protect on a day-to-day basis there. I grew up surrounded by the same smiling faces and the same happy atmosphere, and I strongly believed that I would never get tired of my country.

But still, I was starting to really like being with the Akatsuki.

So, deciding to march up to Pain's study and possibly get chased out after I had finished there (or killed, either or) was a suicide mission, considering how very much I enjoy my new home.

I reached the plain door and knocked nervously. And then I proceeded to reprimand myself for showing how nervous I was. In any case, I took a deep breath after I heard a deep-voiced "enter" from the other side of the door.

'Dear God in Heaven, please give us the speed to run far, far away from this mad house if this discussion ends badly,' Inner prayed for the both of us. I chuckled nervously and pushed open the only barrier between myself and inevitable death and destruction.

Pain looked up from his desk, where he had been writing with his new stationary that I had given him for Christmas. "Sakura, welcome. Have a seat?"

I nodded and gave small, jerky bow. "Thanks." I slowly made my way to the chair that was positioned in front of his large desk. He must have been expecting me ('Or someone else!' Inner reasoned), because I couldn't remember this chair having been there the last time I had come up to his office.

"So," Pain said conversationally, still writing away. "I hope your mission went well?"

I nodded once again. "Yeah, it did. I think Kisame was gonna come up with the official mission report, but all-in-all it was a success."

He bobbed his head once, showing that he was paying attention even though he was writing. I took this chance to actually look at his face for once, rather than stare at the piercings and hope he didn't notice. He had a rather handsome face past the metal sticking out all over the place; his skin tone reminded me a little of Shikamaru's. It wasn't tan, but it wasn't necessarily pale either. And it was hardly blemished: very few scars that were noticeable, and perfectly clear skin.

I jumped when he spoke next. "If you're not here to give a mission report, what is it that you want to speak to me about?" he asked, his deep voice relaxed and non-threatening.

Here goes nothing. 'Remember,' Inner whispered nervously, as if Pain could hear her. 'You're not trying to bargain with him, just gather info and maybe plant a seed of doubt.'

I scoffed inwardly. 'It's worth a try,' she said, shrugging mentally (which is a feat in and of itself, so don't ask how she does it).

I cleared my throat. "Well, I was actually… um, wondering… if I could just… talkwithyou?" I asked, squeaking the last part as he put his pen down and looked me in the eyes.

Was that a smirk? Bastard! He's making me nervous on purpose!

"Were we not talking before?" he asked, and I could tell that he must have been in a humorous mood because the Pain the guys kept telling me about is serious and cold and emotionless. The Leader does not smirk or poke fun at his subordinates! Didn't they teach that in Evil School? World Dictatorship 101, always act serious and don't give an inch of mercy to your underlings!