XXI.

You wake up feeling groggy and disoriented. As you sit up, you wince; your head is throbbing with a mild headache. Groaning, you stand up to stretch--and then immediately slap a hand over your mouth as your stomach churns. For a second, you think you might throw up, but it passes quickly. You're left feeling slightly nauseous as you begin your morning routine and get dressed.

You rub your temples as you exit your room, wondering why you're feeling so lousy--and then you remember. The drinking. But you only had a few sips...was the alcohol really that strong? Do aliens even have alcohol? You sigh, supposing that you brought this on yourself, either way.

When you get to the dining hall, you're surprised to find it empty. You usually wake up around the time that everyone's eating breakfast...but maybe you slept in today. You switch gears and make your way to the training deck to see if there's anyone there. As you get closer to the room, you can hear the clang of metal hitting metal and someone grunting with exertion; it certainly sounds like the paladins are in here. When the doors slide open for you, however, there's only one person in the room.

Shiro is sparring with the training bot. His skin glows with a light sheen of sweat, and his Galran arm shines with faint purple light as he uses it to block blows from the robot's sword. He maneuvers gracefully, lithe and powerful, ducking and dodging and skipping around his metallic opponent. With each shift, you can see his muscles pulling taut beneath his space suit. For some reason, you find your heartbeat speeding up and a hot flush spreading across your face. You freeze, staring as he administers a final powerful blow to the robot, who shuts off automatically.

When Shiro turns and sees you, a surprised look crosses his face. "Lyda," He smiles, breathing heavily from his workout, "I'm sorry, I didn't notice you." He runs a hand through his hair, letting his Galran arm drop to his side.

"It's fine!" You squeak, "I just walked in! Didn't mean to interrupt..." Your heartbeat only speeds up as he walks closer to you, and you can't help wondering what's wrong with you.

"No, no, you're fine." Shiro says, "I was just getting some training in. Did you need something?"

"Oh, uh, I was just looking for everyone. I went to the dining hall and no one was around...did I sleep late?"

"Um..." Shiro smiles, amused, and rubs the back of his neck, "No...how are you feeling?"

"What?" You blink, "I'm fine, but if I didn't sleep late then where..." your sentence is interrupted by a sudden stabbing in your temples, and you wince.

"Fine, huh?" Shiro asks wryly, and you realize what he's getting at.

"Oh..." You breathe, "They all drank so much more than me...are they alright?"

Shiro chuckles, "They'll be okay. I think they're all in their rooms. Do you need me to get you some food?" He takes a step towards you.

"No, no, I'm fine!" You laugh nervously, taking a step back as you blush once again. What's going on with you today? Must be the hangover..."I don't want to interrupt your training. I can get food myself and go check on the others."

Shiro shrugs. "Okay. Coran and Allura are in town getting the rest of the parts. I'll be here if you need anything." He turns and walks back towards the immobile training bot. As you start to leave, however, he calls after you.

"Oh, and I almost forgot: orders from Allura! She says not to heal anyone's hangovers, or else."

"Or else what?" You ask, thinking about how furious the princess was last night.

Shiro shrugs. "She didn't say, but I wouldn't cross her right now if I was you. Besides, it'll be good for everyone to learn a lesson about moderation when it comes to drinking." You nod, offering a small smile as he turns back around.