XXIII.

Pidge is the one who wraps bandages around your bleeding fingers. The rough stones tore up the skin, and some of your nails were ripped clean off. The remaining ones are cracked and bloody.

"Jesus, Lyda," she mutters, "What were you doing out there?"

You don't know how to respond, so you just shrug. Pidge sighs and shakes her head, finishing with the last bandage.

"Well," she admonishes you, "Don't do it again."

The next few days pass quietly. Allura and Shiro spend hours strategizing while Pidge and Coran are working in the control room of the ship to decode signals from the nearby work camp. The rest of the paladins spend time training or exploring what's left of Ellythria.

You spend the rest of your stay mostly in your room. When Hunk drops by to ask if you're okay, you tell him you're just feeling a bit sick. He gets the message and must tell the rest of the crew not to bother you, because no one else stops by until about two days later, when Coran knocks on your door.

"Lyda?" He asks tentatively, "I know you're not feeling well, but we're all meeting in the control room. Allura and Shiro feel that we have enough information now to move forward with the mission, and they want to make sure everyone knows the plan."

"Of course," you say, clearing your throat when your voice cracks. You haven't been talking much the past few days. You sit up in your bed, pushing back the blanket. "I'll be right over."

"Alright," Coran nods and begins to leave, but pauses in the doorway. "Lyda," he says after a moment, "If you ever need anyone to talk to...I mean, not that you have to, and not that I'm always the best person or anything, but I'm also not the worst, and I know seeing your home like this must be hard but...I mean, I'm just trying to say, I know what it's like to lose your planet, too."

You blink, not sure of what to say. You realize that he's right; both Coran and Allura have experienced the destruction of their planet, the grief, loss, and devastation.

"Thank you, Coran." You say, genuinely, "I'll keep that in mind." He nods, exiting your room the rest of the way.

When you get to the control room, Allura has already gathered the entire crew. "Alright, everyone," she announces,  "I think Shiro and I have come up with a solid plan for infiltrating the Galran work camp."

You listen, trying to pay attention as she explains how the paladins will go in stealthily, targeting the airlock and communications first. Signals will need to be blocked before any real fighting begins so that the Galran guards can't alert anyone that the paladins of Voltron have targeted the camp. However, that will leave Allura, Coran, and you blind to the situation as well.

Allura explains that there should be five guards in each unit, and there are ten units in a camp. Each unit holds about twenty prisoners. There's only one airlock, and with that and the communications down, it will simply be up to each paladin to take down ten guards, which shouldn't be a problem with the Lions. The only real danger is if a signal gets out to the larger Galran bases.

There are three planets in a row with three camps designed with the same number of guards and prisoners. As Allura explains it, speed and stealth will be essential to the mission, because if the camps don't send out materials the next day, people will start to get suspicious. This leaves the paladins no more than a couple hours for each camp, because all three must be shut down in just twenty four hours.

By the time Allura finishes explaining the details of her plan, two hours have passed. She debriefs each paladin individually, making sure everyone knows what units they're assigned and what their individual tasks are. You sit, mostly listening, unsure why you're even here. Allura told you early on that you're just going to be waiting on the ship; this isn't a mission you can help with. In fact, you've never really been able to help with any mission. The more you think about it, the more you feel like an outsider; you can't even help with tech the way Coran does.

Suddenly, Allura's voice snaps you out of your thoughts. "Everyone's good with the plan?"

Five tired voices respond with various confirmations. Allura nods sharply. "Good." She begins turning off screens and folding up papers.

"You should all get some rest, then," she smiles grimly, "Because we're going to be starting this mission early tomorrow."