Preface: What Once Was

MEN HAVE DIED FROM TIME TO TIME, AND WORMS HAVE EATEN THEM, BUT NOT FOR LOVE

- William Shakespeare, As You Like It 

The crescent moon shone brightly upon Remus Lupin as he strolled through Godric's Hollow, alone with his thoughts and feelings. He had just resigned from his position of Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor at Hogwarts, due to an incident involving his 'condition' and needed to clear his mind. And this was the best way he knew how.

Despite this, he wasn't bitter or remorseful. In fact, he hadn't felt better in years. After thirteen long, difficult years he had finally met his best friends' son and daughter, Harry and Haylee. And god, did they look like their parents. It was like seeing James and Lily's ghosts every time he saw them.

Remus always knew that Harry would be a spitting image of James, but nothing prepared him what he saw. Harry had the exact same messy, raven black hair and glasses. He truly is James' son, all except for his eyes, his eyes are just like Lily's. As green as emeralds.

It was the same with Haylee, who looked so much like her mother that it frightened Remus at first. She is just as pretty as Lily was, Remus had thought upon their first meeting. Haylee and Lily shared the same delicate features and, just like Harry, the same sparkling green eyes that seemed to light up the room. But it seemed that James had passed down his messy to hair to both of his children, for Haylee also had thick, raven black hair that Remus imagined must be difficult to tame. He had, after all, spent several years watching James attempt to keep his hair tidy.

It was difficult for Remus at first, for every time Harry and Haylee entered his classroom he had to perform a double take. It was also quite emotionally challenging for him; for in an alternative world, he would have been like an uncle to those two amazing children. But instead, he was just a stranger to them. Just their professor and not Uncle Moony.

But as he grew closer to them, he realised just how much they were like their parents. It was almost like having James and Lily back. Almost.

On top of this, he learnt an unbelievable truth surrounding the Potters' murder. Everything he thought to be true was a lie. Sirius Black was not James and Lily's Secret-Keeper at the time of their death, no, it was the little rat Peter Pettigrew who sold them out. But Sirius received the blame anyway and Remus spent twelve years believing this while Sirius rotted away in Azkaban.

But when Sirius broke out, all was revealed, and even though Sirius was still on the run from authorities, Remus knew that he had his best friend back. And Harry and Haylee finally had their godfather after so many years.

So yes, Remus Lupin was particularly happy this evening thinking about all the events that transpired as he wandered through the small, nostalgic village. He visited Godric's Hollow quite often to visit James and Lily's grave; he would dust off their tombstone, place new flowers over it and then speak to them. He did this mostly because he knew no one else would, but also because he missed them dearly. His life would never be the same without them, James especially and he owed to them to visit them every so often.

It was like any other visit; he had a small bouquet of Lillie's tucked neatly underneath his arm as he walked towards their white marble tomb. It was just as peaceful as usual, a sanctuary of sorts.

But his inner serenity was shattered when he caught sight of a young man sprawled out in front James and Lily's grave. He cursed underneath his breath as he picked up his pace, muttering profanities.

"Disrespectful drunkard," he murmured, narrowing his eyes. Does he not know that this is a graveyard, he thought bitterly.

Lily and James deserved better than to have some man - some horrible, drunken man, laying unconscious on their grave.