5. The Portkey

"You're a long walk from the street, and I'm dying in this summer heat. I hope like hell you're waiting" ~ The Beach, All Time Low

It feels as if I've only just laid down to sleep in Ginny's room when I'm shaken awake by Hermione.

"Haylee!" she hisses. "Haylee! Wake up!"

Although reluctant, I sit up on the mattress and rub my eyes.

"Time to go," Ginny mumbles groggily, dressed in jeans and a pyjama shirt, clearly tired to change any faster.

I get up and change in silence, before pulling my long hair up into a high ponytail, ignoring Hermione's comment on how long it is.

I'm still trying to roll up my black jeans as we enter the kitchen, where the boys are already awake, looking just as tired as we are.

"Why do we have to be up so early?" Ginny asks, rubbing her eyes.

"We've got a bit of a walk," Mr Weasley replies.

"Walk?" I yawn. "What, are we walking to the World Cup?"

"No, no, that's miles away," Mr Weasley says, smiling. "We only need to walk a short way. It's just that it's very difficult for a large number of wizard's to congregate without attracting Muggle attention. We have to be very careful about how we travel at the best of times, and on a huge occasion like the Quidditch World Cup - "

"George!" Mrs Weasley says suddenly, making us all jump.

"What?" George says, in an innocent tone that deceives nobody.

"What is that in your pocket?"

"Nothing!"

"Don't you lie to me!"

Mr Weasley points her wand at George's pocket and says, "Accio!"

Several small, brightly coloured objects zoom out of his pockets; he tries to grab them but misses and they speed right into his mother's outstretched hands.

"We told you to destroy them!" she says furiously, holding up the lollies. "We told you to get rid of the lot! Empty your pockets, go on, both of you!"

It is an unpleasant scene; the twins have evidently been trying to smuggle as many toffees out of the house as possible, and it's only by using her Summoning charm that Mrs Weasley is able to confiscate them all.

"Accio! Accio! Accio!" she shouts, making all the toffees zoom towards her from all sorts of unlikely places, including the lining of George's jumper and the turn-ups of Fred's jeans.

"We spent six months developing those!" Fred shouts at his mother, as she throws all the toffees away.

"Oh, a fine way to spend six months!" she shrieks. "No wonder you didn't get more O.W.Ls!"

All in all, the atmosphere is not friendly as we depart. Mrs Weasley is still glowering as she kisses Mr Weasley on the cheek, though not nearly as much as the twins, who both hoist their bags up onto their backs and leave without a word to her.

"Well, have a lovely time," says Mrs Weasley, "and behave yourselves," she calls after the twins' retreating backs, but they make no indication on whether they heard her or not ."I'll send Bill, Charlie and Percy along around midday."

As we all set off across the dark yard, we all come to the same realisation. Despite being summer, it's quite chilly this early in the morning. The moon is still sitting high in the sky, although there is a dull green tinge on the horizon which foreshadows the sun rising.

I walk in between Ginny and Hermione, hearing the Harry and Mr Weasley talking about Portkeys while we hold our own conversation.

"So how is the snake, Haylee?" Ginny asks, using her nickname for Draco. I give a mock laugh, nudging her ribs lightly.