11. Unforgivable

The past two days occured without great incident, unless you count Neville melting his sixth cauldron in Potions. Professor Snape, who seems to have attained new levels of vindictiveness over the summer, gave Neville detention and Neville returned from it in a nervous state. We all guess it's because he missed out of the Defence Against the Dark Arts spot, again.

Finally, Thursday rolls around, and all anyone in fourth year can talk about is Moody. Ron, who is beyond excited, makes us, along with a handful of other fourth years, arrive at the class before the bell has even rang.

Harry, Tay and Ron are esatic, but I can't shake the feeling of wariness when it comes to Moody. Hermione arrives just as the bell rings (she was in the library) and we head inside. Ron, Harry and Tay sit front and center, whilst Hermione and I sit behind them, no where near as excited.

I sit hesitantly on the edge of the row, next to Hermione, not sure how to feel about the coming lesson. And behind me, to the the side, sits Draco, clearly anxious that Moody will turn him into an animal again.

"Alastor Moody," the Professor greet us, messily scribbling the word 'Moody' into the blackboard. "Ex-Auror, Ministry malcontent," he throws the chalk aside carelessly, "and your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

Ron smiles at me excitedly, almost jumping out of his chair as Moody stares at us.

"I am here ebcause Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end," Moody explains bluntly. "Any questions?"

His magical eye flickers around the silent room, before continuing.

"When it comes to the Dark Arts, I believe in a practical approach," Moody begins. "But first, which of you can tell me how mabny Unforgiveable Curses there are?"

My heart gives a strange jolt at the mention of these curses, and I shift uncomfortably in my sit.

"Three, sir," Hermione says quietly.

"And they are so named?" Moody questioned, drawing a three on the blackboard.

"Because they are unforgiveable," Hermione says. "The use of any of them will-"

"Will eanr you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, correct," Moody cuts her off, scribbling 'Unforgivable' on the board. "Now, the Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared! You need to find another place to put your chewing gum besides the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnigan!"

"No way," Seamus whispers, shocked. "The old codger can see out of the black of his head."

Moody turns, angry, and hurls the piece of chalk across the room. "And hear across classrooms!" he roars. "So," he begins again, strangely eager, "which curse shall we see first? WEASLEY!"

"Yes?" Ron jumps.

"Stand. Give us a curse."

Standing, Ron thinks hard for a moment. "Well, my dad did tell me about one. The Imperius Curse, or something."

"Oh, yeah, your father would know all about that," Moody says dangerously. "Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why."

He turns away and goes to his desk, which is covered in strange jars and boxes. Beside me, Hermione is fuming, shocked that he's going to preform the curses.

"Hello," Moody cooes, opening a jar containing a spider. I see Ron recoil, terrified. "Lovely little beauty."

He pulls out his wand and points it towards the already large spider.