8. Memories and Remorse

Every day since James Potter's unexpected and shock resurrection, he and Remus visited Dumbledore. He had to recount what happened to him in great detail, but even then the old wizard couldn't explain what had happened. Or perhaps, as Remus expected, Dumbledore was keeping a vital piece of information to himself.

But as the school year drew closer, James grew both anxious and excited at the prospect of finally seeing his children. How would they react? What would they be like?

Of course, both Remus and Dumbledore told James all about them, he still wondered how he would perceive them. All he knew is that he would love nonetheless.

However, at this meeting between him, Remus and Dumbledore, the old headmaster seemed quite unfocused on James' predicament, he was much more fixated on the Death Eater demonstration at the Quidditch World Cup. James was rather uninterested until he learnt that Harry and Haylee were there.

"Are they safe?" he asked hurriedly. "Who were they with?"

"The Weasleys," Dumbledore told him calmly. "The twins are very good friends with the family. And yes, they're very safe, James."

"But what does this mean for the wizarding world?" Remus asked thoughtfully.

"Only time will tell," Dumbledore replied, his blue eyes twinkling. "But onto more pressing matters," he then said, "the school year is approaching and I know that you are most eager to see Haylee and Harry."

James nodded quickly, sitting up a little straighter. "Yes."

"And there a lot of things you are yet to learn about your children," Dumbledore continued, "which is why today we will be looking back at their school years using a Pensieve."

Excitedly, James rose and gathered around the Pensieve, watching Dumbledore select the memories they would be reliving. And then all three of them submerged themselves into the Pensieve, coming out into Hogwart's Great Hall almost exactly four years prior.

They watched a small, eleven year old Harry approach the Sorting Hat, and James beamed. Harry looked exactly like him; the same messy hair, the same face. But as Harry got closer he could see that he possessed Lily's bright green eyes.

"They're in Gryffindor, right?" James asked quietly, as the Harry's Sorting went on and on.

And then finally the hat screamed. "GRYFFINDOR!"

They watched Harry bound to his new family, and then averted their eyes to Haylee, who was now sitting on the stool, the Sorting Hat on her messy black hair.

"She looks like Lily," James whispered sadly. "Just like Lily..."

"GRYFFINDOR!"

James held back the urge to cheer and clap as Haylee joined her brother at the Gryffindor table, both of them beaming and laughing ecstatically.

And then the scene changed in a series of silver clouds, and they were standing in the destroyed girl's lavatory. A troll was standing amidst the rubble, swinging it's club at the sinks, whilst Haylee and her bushy haired friend hid under copious amounts of rubble.

James cursed as Harry and his ginger-haired friend stormed into the bathroom.

"Haylee! Hermione! Move!" Harry shouted, as he and his friend began hurling bricks and broken tiles at the beast.

James, frozen in shock, watched Haylee and her friend hurried to the sinks on the far corner of the room, crouching underneath.

"They battled a troll?" James asked, finally finding his words. "Oh! Harry don't do - ugh," he made a face, watching his son shove his wand up the troll's nose.