20. Always You

"When the world gets too heavy put it on my back, I'll be your levy" ~ Always, Panic! At the Disco

Harry, Ron, Hermione, Tay and I go up to the Owlery the evening after the First Task to find Pigwidgeon, so that Harry and I can send Sirius a letter so he knows that we managed the first task. On our way, we fill Ron and Tay in on everything Sirius said about Karkaroff being a Death Eater.

"Fits, doesn't it?" Ron says. "Remember what Malfoy said on the train about his dad being friends with Karkaroff? Now we know where they know each other. They were probably running around in masks together at the World Cup...I'll tell you one thing, though, if it was Karkaroff who put your names in the Goblet, he's going to be feeling really stupid now, isn't he? Didn't work, did it? Haylee only got a scratch! Come here - I'll do it - "

Pidwidgeon is so over-excited at the idea of a delivery, that he's flying round and round Harry's head, hooting incessantly. Ron snatches Pigwidgeon out of the air and holds him still while Harry attaches our letter to his leg.

"There's no way any of the other tasks are going to be that dangerous, how could they be?" Ron goes on. "You know what? I reckon you could win this Tournament, Harry, Haylee, I'm serious."

I know he's only saying this to make up for his behaviour over the last few weeks, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

"Harry and Haylee have a long way to go before they finish this Tournament," Hermione says as we leave the Owlery, frowning. "If that was the First task, I hate to think what's coming next."

"Right little ray of sunshine, aren't you?" Tay scoffs. "You and Professor Trelawney should spend some time together."

"Well, we'd better get downstairs for your surprise party, Harry, Hayles - Fred And George should have nicked enough food from the kitchens by now."

Sure enough, when we enter the Gryffindor common room, it explodes with cheers and yells again. There are mountains of cakes and flagons of pumpkin juice and Butterbeer on every surface. Lee lets off some Dr Filibuster's Fabulous No-Heat, Wet-Start Fireworks so that the air is thick with stars and sparks. And Dean, who is very good at drawing, has created some impressive banners, depicting Harry and I zooming around the Horntail's head on our Firebolts, though others show Cedric with his hair on fire.

I help myself to food; it's almost as if I've forgotten what it's like to be properly hungry, and sit down with Ron, Tay, Harry and Hermione.

"Blimey, this is heavy," Lee says, picking up the Golden Egg. "Open it, go on! Let's just see what's inside it!"

"They're supposed to work it out on their own,' Hermione says swiftly. "It's in the Tournament rules..."

"We were supposed to work out the dragon on our own, too," I mutter, making her grin rather guiltily.

"Yeah, go on, Harry, Haylee, open it!" several people echo.

Lee passes the egg to us, and together, Harry and I lift the egg open.

It's hollow and entirely empty, but the moment we open it, the most horrible noise fills the room; a screechy, wailing noise.

"Shut it!" Fred bellows, his hands over his ears.

'What was that?" Seamus asks, shocked, once the egg is closed. "Sounded like a banshee...maybe you've got to get past one of those next!"

"It was someone being tortured!" Neville says, whose gone very white. "You're going to have to fight off the Cruciatus Curse!"

My stomach drops and I look at the crowd. "Don't be a prat, Neville," George says, patting my back comfortably, "that's illegal. They wouldn't use the Cruciatus curse on the champions. I thought it sounded a bit like Percy singing...maybe you've got to attack him while he's in the shower."