4|Safety

Phil -10 Dan -6

Phil is eating alone at lunch(like usual) when he sees two boys coming towards him. He's seen them around, but they only really talk to themselves. They never have seemed to show any interest in him, or anyone else before, so he stares at them confusedly. He hopes that they aren't coming to hurt him. Before he knows it they are both in front of him with wide smiles.

"Hi, I'm Pj." Says the one with light green eyes and curly hair. Phil has seen him around before, but mostly either drawing or obsessing over movies. He seemed nice enough.

Before Phil can say anything the one with dark, straight hair and green eyes that remind him of grass cuts in.

"Hi, fellow homo! You can call me Chris, or Dj Christmas spirit. I may be 10 years old, but I will still steal your girl...or boy. I'm on both sides of the street, and proud to be. Which is why we're here actually-" Pj then shushes Chris, and smacks his arm.

Phil raises an eyebrow at the duo. "Um, Excuse me?"

Chris opens his mouth, but Pj interrupts whatever he is going to say. "Would you mind if we sit with you?" He asks politely shooting Chris a glare. DJ Christmas Spirit smiles innocently.

"Uh, sure." Phil says. He's to nice to say no. He watches Chris steal a fry off of Phil's tray without a care, and wonders what he meant by, 'fellow homo'?

"You're probably wondering why Chris just called you a 'fellow homo', and told you that that was why we were here." Pj says as if reading his thoughts.

"Uh, yeah kinda." Phil says.

"Well, we are also gay. How cool is that? We are part of the same rainbow filled community. I know, it's amazing. Me and Chris are both bisexual." Pj says smiling wide. "And when we heard that there was another one of us, Chris and I jumped at the opportunity to meet you. I mean us homosexuals have to stick together, right?"

"GAYS UNITE!" Chris shouts while pumping his fist in the air. Pj only smiles up at him. The whole cafeteria stares at them. Chris didn't seem to mind the attention.

Phil's mind races. He didn't exactly, actually know what homosexual meant at all until now. He wonders how Pj and Chris know so much. He's blushing like crazy because everyone is staring at them in wonder. I mean, they are all 10 and younger, and don't understand what Chris is talking about.

"Please get off the table, Chris." Phil whisper yells.

Chris smirks, and hops off the table sitting next to Pj again. All eyes leave them, and noise returns. Phil lets out a breath of relief.
"So...what do you think? Would you like to join our group?" Pj says excitedly.

Phil is hesitant, but he must admit he kind of likes them. They are funny. Plus, he doesn't have any other friends other than Dan, and he's only 6. He wonders if they will think he is lame for being best friends with a 1st grader. He doesn't want to get teased by them too. Then, a sudden thought pops into Phil's head.

"Wait a minute. How did you guys know that I like boys?" Phil says. Phil barley knew he liked boys himself. He was only 10 after all, and he hasn't told anybody other than Dan.

They look uncomfortable for a second. They start to shift in their seats, and Pj stares at his hands. Chris finally speaks up. "We heard what those boys said to you, and saw them...hurt you. We heard the rumor about Percy...we're sorry."

Phil looks down. Percy. His first crush. Why did he tell? Percy's brother. The boys. The words they called him. The words he didn't really understand the meaning of himself. The older boys seemed to have a lot to say to Phil about who he is, but they don't know who he was.

"Hey," Pj starts, "Just know, we are here to help you. We won't let you get bullied ever again. Once you join our group you'll be safe. Chris will ninja kick anyone who tries to hurt you in the face." He says with a small smile. Pj's words are sincere. Phil knows he can trust him.

"Ok," Phil says. "I'm in."

"Welcome to the gay side, loser." Chris says with a smile. He steals another fry from Phil's plate, and Pj winks at Phil. It was in that moment Phil knew that everything would be okay.

After that, everything changed. Even Phil.