32|There's Cheese Everywhere, and I'm Sorry Fren

The singing was off key and loud, but Dan felt nothing but love in the familiar notes. Candles flickered, and danced tantalizingly asking for sweet release. He stares at his friends and family smiling, and the white icing that spelt out his name, feeling content. The moment seems to happen in slow motion.

Happy Birthday Dear Daaann

He tears up. He makes eye contact with Troye who is holding Tyler's hand, and singing the loudest whilst grinning at him from ear to ear. He gives him a thumbs up.

Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuu

As they finish the song holding the last note, a joyful tear slides down his cheek, and his mom whispers to make a wish rubbing his back sweetly.

He makes the mistake of looking into the crowd. For a reason he can't understand he feels like as soon as he blows out the candles he's officially older. He always tries to cherish the moments before.

And that's the moment he looks at Phil. Phil is watching him like everyone else. Phil gives him a small sentimental smile as if to say good luck.

Dan wants to hug him, and say he's sorry for being rude, and that he loves him with all of his heart. He wants to be with him again. His tears flow heavier.

He stares at the candles wanting to think of something to wish for,

That isn't Phil Lester.

But he's all that matters when Dan wakes up, and all that matters when Dan falls asleep.

And he's all that matters, when Dan finally blows out the candles.

***

"I'm sorry, Phil. I really do want you back in my life. I overreacted."

"Dan, I deserved it."

"No, you don't understand. I was just mad because of how I felt and everything, and it's my fault that we haven't spoken in over a year. I'm sorry, Phil."

"Don't be. I was the one who let you go. I love you, and you have been my best friend my whole life. It was terrible to lose you."

"I love you, too."

"Promise you'll never leave me again?"

"I promise."

"I missed you."

"I missed you too."

***

Jake is nice.

Dan was hoping he was Miss Jackson nasty, but he was sweet.

And cute.

And smart.

And funny.

And twenty-four.

Dan found this heartbreaking.

So, he was an older man.

But did that make him any nicer?

Or cuter?

Or smarter? Well, yeah a little bit, but whatever not really.

Or funnier?

No.

Why was Phil with Jake?

Phil didn't love him.

Dan could tell.

And Jake didn't love Phil.

Phil could tell.

Dan smiled, and shook his hand. He talked to him. He hugged him like an old friend when he left with his boyfriend.

Dan and Phil were annoyingly separated again.