6.12.0

"What'd do you think you're doing Veronica?" The Update growls at the woman beside me and I jump like a drum. "This isn't your note."

Veronica's eyes narrow before she responds with a slow roll of her eyes. "Relax, will you? We were just talking. Weren't we, kitten?" She gently scratches the back of my neck with her long red fingernails. 

My Update is usually so cool and collected but he seems rattled. He wraps his hand around mine and gently pulls me off the bar stool. "Notes. Let's go. We're leaving this... place."

I look back at Veronica. She leans back against the bar, red lips pushed together in a small smile. "Better do whatever your Update demands."

"You don't just get to pull me around." I say and snap my hand away from his grasp. 

My Update looks stricken. "Notes, please." His hand stays outstretched but there's a desperate edge to his voice. 

I feel those long nails caress my neck again and Veronica's lips at my ear. "Oh he wants to tell you about 6.12.0. About how you can get speedier loading of content on the Home screen and improved handling for reading lists that reach maximum story size." 

I want to close my ears, but I can't. Veronica's grip gets firmer on my neck. I look around and notice the whole bar is filled with glassy-eyed notes who look like they have been frozen for a thousand years. "He wants to tell you how we fixed one of the most frequent crashes and have improvements to the publishing flow for your works. Now. Take a seat. Have a drink. You have no need of him... or anything else."

"I think I'd better go." I say. 

Her grip is like iron but I reach out and grab my Update's hand. The spell is broken and together we run out of the bar and into the night.