6.23.0

"You have nothing to worry about. It's just disclosure. Office relationships, blah blah..." Update takes me by the hand and leads me down the corridor towards the HR office. Despite his smiling, calm demeanor I can feel my palm sweating in his. When we reach the door, he stops and squeezes my hand. "You okay?"

"Yes." I smile weakly. But I don't feel okay. There's a bad feeling swirling around and for some reason I can't place it. The interaction is short and sweet. Seems like it isn't the first time something like this has transpired, which makes me feel slightly better. That is, until the HR rep with her kind eyes and bright cardigan crosses her arms over her desk and drops the bomb.

"In light of this new information, we're going to temporarily transfer you to another Update. You'll get your reassignment notification tomorrow."

"What? Why?" I blurt out.

Update squeezes my hand again. "It's just protocol," he insists. "Lucky for us 6.23 is a piece of cake! Just some tweaks under the hood for faster downloading speeds, fixes for quote sharing, crashes in home, syncing library, and the occasional blank text in the writer. No sweat, right?"

He looks down at me but my eyes can't meet his just yet. I look towards the hallway instead just as Veronica whips past the window then, wearing a painted, red smile that looks like a smear of blood. My bad feeling twists inside my stomach. Somehow I have a very good idea who my new partner will be, and the worry that comes with it makes me grip my Update's arm like I can never it let go.