Death Toll

The Hauntress

Of all of the electronic signs flashing bright, colorful advertisements, only one caught my eye. It was the CNN sign that always showed the breaking news and current events. A female reporter with short, dark hair and tight eyes was talking, but with all of the traffic and noisy people around the plaza, I couldn't hear what she was saying. Not that I cared for what she had to say. It was just surprising.

Beside the reporter, covering half the screen, was a mugshot of a man named Antoine Vicardi. He was an unshaven, angry-looking Italian man dressed in an expensive black suit. He had that same permanent scowl on his face that he always did. I might not have recognized him without it. Below the picture in a red Breaking News box were the words: Mobster Confirmed Dead After Overpowered By Heroes.

It was surreal, one of those things that shouldn't have been possible. My thoughts drifted over to the others of the Sinister Six. Were they killed too? I didn't care for the others, but part of me still liked to think of Iron Crisis as a friend. He could be a little over-bearing at times, sometimes a bit too chaotic, but he used his head before jumping into action unlike the others. I admired that.

The Mobster had been the leader and founder of a league of villains called the Sinister Six. Not even a year ago, I had been a member. After I ditched the gig, I was replaced by a nobody who called himself Quake. He had the ability to control the Earth, but his powers were weak. He didn't know how to use them to his full potential. He was too much a coward.

Another member I loathed was Black Lotus. She thought she was sooo great. I admit, she was a very beautiful woman and her powers were pretty cool too. She could control plant life and enchant people with her lotus perfume. But her personality was venomous. She was such a toxic person, I could hardly bare to work with her.

The Ripper was undoubtedly the sickest, most twisted villain of all. He was someone I planned never to get in a fight against, let alone make eye contact with. He was the killer of our group; the torturer, Hell-raiser, sick bastard he was. His murders were gory, so horrible even I sometimes would find myself with a weak stomach when he was near. His only power was super-strength, which was enough for someone who only needed to overpower his enemy before slaughtering them.

Next, we have my personal favorite, Carney. He was that horrifying clown you would dream of as a kid. His costume was black and white, and he had a gray frown painted across his face. When he used to smile at me, it sent chills down my back, his mouth full of filed teeth to look like fangs. He carried around four black balloons with him, and each was actually a small explosive device. He had probably a hundred small knives on his person at all times, hidden within his costume. Even I would sometimes wake up in the middle of the night sweating after having him appear in my nightmares.

Back to Iron Crisis. He was the only one I could actually have a normal conversation with. We would strategize together, coming up with great game plans for robberies, take-downs, etc. His name came from his power to manipulate and control all types of metal. He was powerful, able to take down entire buildings if he wanted to. He always wore all black and a mask that covered the skin between his cheekbones and eyebrows. He had a mop of black hair on his head, and the most piercing green eyes. I almost missed him at times, but I left him behind for the better.

I am the Hauntress. I was once one of the most feared villains in the city, but I'm a different person now. No longer a villain, but definitely not a hero. After my time with the Sinister Six, I began to feel pity for the people of the city. They were the ants, and we were the boot.

I've killed, but only those deserving. I could sense a person's aura, and I knew when one was dark. Mine was, but not like theirs. I killed the liars, killers, cheaters, and monsters. It was wrong of me, but it was also right. I killed to stop more from being killed. Is that really so bad?

What people really feared me for was my true power. I could control the spirits of the dead. I used them to do my bidding for me. I hid in the shadows while they worked. I liked to think of my ghosts and I as a team. Their souls belonged to me, but I didn't like thinking of them as my property. We understood each other, they did as I asked, and we worked together better than the Sinister Six ever did.

My alter ego? I'm Shea Waters. I'm actually very innocent-looking when I'm not in disguise. I have long, blonde hair, electric blue eyes, and a friendly white smile I use to fool people. I dress in mostly black, worn out clothes. It's what most people on this side of town wear. I do my best to blend in.

I continued to stare up at the electronic sign, and finally I let out a deep breath. I had a feeling I'd better put my costume on.

Things were about to get a little more chaotic around here.

_____________
A/N
Ta-da! Stevie here. Hope you guys liked my chapter (I'll be doing the even numbered chapters with my character Shea/Hauntress) along with Megan's (who writes the odd numbers and her character Alexander/Iron Crisis)! Hopefully we can stick to this story and get it done fast! I'm really having fun with it so it shouldn't be too hard to complete. Thanxx for the read!
- Stevie