Cold Coffee

Iron Crisis

God, what was I thinking?

An act of heroism? I'm a freaking villain! I push people into streets, not pull them out.

Ugh, this had been bugging me all day.

After picking up the bread I'd gone out for in the first place, I went back to my apartment and changed into my Iron Crisis suit. Then I'd wandered through the streets trying to figure out why my initial reaction was to save that girl, Shea or whatever, from getting run over.

God, and then I started stuttering like some socially impaired freak. I'm way out of touch with the whole civilian thing. I just felt so out in the open without my mask. That and having just helped someone had me kind of freaked out.

I'd felt like I needed to do something bad to cancel out the whole saving thing, so I set out on one of my destructive rampages at dusk. Now, shuddering a bit as I relived the memories of earlier today, I decided to head out to my favorite bar.

It wasn't a total dump, like the last bar I tried, but it was still far from high class. The part that had me coming back was the Saturday night brawling matches. It was a bunch of drunk guys beating each other up in a cage at the back of the bar, who wouldn't come back?

On top of that, I was on a first name basis with the owner. He was a nice guy, and once he was confident I liked this place enough not to destroy it, he started getting comfortable in my presence. Normally I would discourage this, but it was nice to have someone other than Carney to talk to. As sad as it was, that clown was probably my best friend.

As soon as I walked through the doors, Frankie started making me my usual drink. In fact, I had it so often, they named it the Iron Crisis Special.

I took my seat on the same barstool as always and leaned my elbows against the counter. Ice rattled inside the glass as Frankie put my drink down in front of me.

"Bad day?" He asked knowingly.

I turned my head to the small TV set in the corner only to see news of my father's scandal broadcasted across the screen.

"What gave it away?" I mumbled sarcastically as I turned back to look at him.

"Well, it's half past one on a Wednesday morning, and you're here."

I shrugged and took a swig of liquid fire. It was nearly impossible for me to get drunk, being as I'm a Super with a freakish metabolism and an apparently very high tolerance level, but that doesn't mean I can't try.

I leaned back in my seat as Frankie went off to help another customer. Something flashed in the corner of my eye. I turned my head to see there was a knife stuck in the wall.

I almost dismissed it when I realized it looked rather familiar. Squinting closer at it, I noticed a small slip of paper underneath the blade.

I took another swig and stood, slowly moving closer to the now very familiar dagger. The design on the hilt confirmed my suspicions.

I knew my knives, and this particular one was mine before I gave it to...

I moved my focus to the paper beneath. It was some sort of business card.

My throat clenched a little when I saw the little sketch of a skull drawn in red ink staring back at me. Blinking back my initial surprise, I wrapped my fingers around the hilt and wrenched the knife free from the wall. The card fluttered downwards, but I caught it before it hit the floor.

Turning it over, I found more writing scrawled across the back. "Thirsty?" was all it said.

I frowned. What was that supposed to mean? Looking closer at the card, I found that it was for Starbucks. I raised an eyebrow. What game was she playing at?

Scratching the back of my head, I tucked the card away in my pocket and put the dagger in my belt.

This woman was going to be the death of me.

‹--«

I frickin' hate mysteries.

I stood outside of a Starbucks shop holding the little index card in my hand. This was the address it listed, now I just had to get inside.

I had to tread carefully here. I was in hero territory now, so carelessness was not an option.

It was after hours, so the place was locked up tight. The front doors faced the street, and I decided that they were a bit too risky for my liking. Slinking around the back, I found another door. Like the main entrance, this, too, was locked. But that wasn't a problem so long as nobody noticed me.

I placed a palm over the lock and focused on twisting the metal to my will. The latch undid itself and I quickly slid inside.

It was dark, and it took a few moments for my eyes to adjust. Once the shadows started to distinguish themselves, I realized that I was in the back storage room.

I moved to the front and glanced around at the tables.

I half expected her to be sitting in one of them, but that was not the case.

I sighed and looked back down at the card.

Thirsty?

That's the almighty clue? God, this whole place revolves around caffeinated beverages.

"Really, H? You couldn't have just asked me to get some coffee with you," I muttered under my breath.

Maybe I interpreted it wrong. Maybe she was just making fun of me for trying to get drunk again.

I sighed and rubbed my gloved hand over my face.

This was a stupid idea.

I was about to turn around when curiosity struck me. There was a lone coffee cup standing on the center table.

In a 'what the hell' moment, I shook my head and walked up to it. The letters I and C were scrawled across the side. I frowned. Lifting it up off the table, I found that it held no liquid. Peeking inside, I found a rolled up napkin instead.

I pulled it out with an unamused expression and uncurled it.

There was a note written in red ink:

Hey, Crisis. Heard you were looking for me. I would just come out and meet you, but unfortunately for you, my entertainment levels have hit rock bottom. So, if you really want to find me, play the game.

Anyways:

"Meetings are a bitch, yet then again, so were the Six."

How badly do you want to find me?

She signed it with her little skull sketch again.

"Damn." I breathed as I realized she's playing with me. I ran my fingers through my hair as I thought through the note.

Yep, she's definitely going to be the death of me.
____________
A/N
Hey all! Thanks for reading. What do you guys think of the beginning of the wild goose chase? Vote and comment! Stevie's chapter is coming up next!