Chapter 7 : He can speak !

No not in this box either !

Ugh !

I packed about three big boxes full of my books but I can't find neither one of them. Maybe I should've unpacked my boxes during the last months of summer but instead I spent them wallowing and depressed.

Not in this box either. This one has vinyl.

"That's it. I'm gonna need a miracle to find my books" I give up.

Maybe someone psychic could help.

"Aunt Layla I can't find my books " I cry as I entered the kitchen.
Freddie was cooking and it smells delicious.
"Well ! what book are you looking for  ?" he asks me while starring.
"To Kill a Mokingbird " I answer.
"Oh I love that book !" He smiled.That makes two of us "I have a copy. It's on one the shelves in our room. You can have it until we find your books"
"That's really sweet Fred but mine is special" I blurt out trying to stop myself from crying.
"How come ?" He asks.
"It's a Christmas gift from Dad. I have it for almost ten years now. And if I don't find it now I'll keep on thinking it's lost and I'll panic and .. and" and suddenly I couldn't breath. I felt a panic attack kicking in.

Freddie sat me down. Gave me a glass of water and after making sure I'm fine he cracked his fingers "AHA ! "

what ?

"When you moved in we put all of your boxes in the guest room but when you wanted the attic we moved them there and put most of the stuff that was in attic in the guest room and few other boxes that we didn't find space for them in the garage Layla took them to her Dinner she said she had extra free space in her office" analyzed Freddie.

"So we start with the guest room ?" I suggested.
"No Austin. I put those stuff in there myself and I checked every box. They must be at Layla's "

Aunt Layla's Dinner is a 30 mins walk but about 10 by car. Thank you Harvey for fixing my car.
I called her and told her why I was coming,she told me she's at her night pilates class but I would find her employee there. She called him and informed him I'm coming so he'd let me inside her office.

Thank you.

There's a reason why Layla hates it when I used the 'aunt' .
She has this kind of hip restaurants where you find a lot of teens and young adults at. It was pretty cool. I used to remember it being a boring place with pale paint and uncomfortable chairs but now it was brick walls with rock bands posters on them. Cozy booths,a jukebox in the corner,a stage for when bands are performing,pool table deep inside where the light is kinda dim and a kick ass flat screen.

Wicked ! Good job aun-- I mean Layla .

"May I help you ?" I heard a deep voice next to me it made me jump.

"Yes I'm Layla's ..." I froze when I turned to face him.

It's Thayer.

Wearing an apron and holding a small notepad in his right hand and a pencil in his left.

He's a lefty I knew it.

"Niece" He finished my sentence "Austin right ?"

Hearing him say my name gave me this tingling feeling and hearing it in a British accent made my heart pound a little.

"Yes yes. I'm hear to pick up something from Layla's office" I state.
"Follow me" He kept a poker face,walked past me and I followed.
We climbed some set of stairs and we were standing in front of a door. It was glass with black wood frame. On it the words   

  'Layla Parker
Owner / Manager'

were written in sharp black letters.

There was these thin horizontal white  stripes behind it.
Thayer pulled out a key and opened it. He entered I followed.

When he turned the lights on. I saw a white desk in front of us with a Mac computer on the side and a lot of papers spread on the desk. The chair behind it matched the desk. There was two shelves with few frames on it and a few books.
'Since when Layla reads?!'
A black leather couch on the right corner,about three feet away from the door. I'm guessing that's where Layla takes her naps. Next to it a small fridge and a glass coffee table in front of coach.

Following the mini fridge by few feet there was a curtain. Black. I wondered why was it there where the window was next to Layla's big chair.

"Do you need the computer ?" Thayer asked me. Making me jump again. He's so quite I forget he's in the same room as me.

"Actually no. Layla said there will be boxes here. They're filled with my books" I explained.

Thayer dropped hid head and put a hand on his forehead covering part of his face . Leaving only his lips a little of his nose uncovered "Follow me"

Again. Am I a dog?

He walked to the curtain and pulled it revealing a small room. Again he entered and I followed. He walked to the corner of the room which is very small by the way. There was a mattress on the floor on the upper right corner with one pillow covered in green sheets. The blanket was rolled up underneath the pillow. Next to it was a desk lamp and a frame,I couldn't make up who was in the photo. Near them was a Malboro pack and a lighter. They all stood on top of a box. There was two other boxes in front of the mattress by the wall.

Thayer put some clothes that were covering the chair on another set of boxes near the entrance.

Four boxes put on top of each other from big to small. Between the box used as a night stand and the chair used as a wardrobe I think only five foot space and it was filled with books. Four stacks. One taller than the other. Few books in the corner made by the mattress and the carton night stand and I think there's a book stuffed between the blanket and the wall.

"The boxes said 'Parker belongings' but the only books I saw Layla read were the fifty shades of grey series. So I doubted they were hers".

I was looking in disbelief not because he was reading my books but because I didn't think he was capable of speaking more than three words in a row.

He saw the expression that I was making but since the only light provided in this room is by that small lamp he thought I was angry. Which made him rub the back of his neck and say "I'm sorry alright ! I didn't know. I couldn't resist you have a great collection. But don't worry I took good care of them. I'm about to finish the second box but they're all yours to take. I can't stop you"

Again ! So many words .

---------------------------------

wassuuuuuup ?!!  how about that.
Vote
Comment
Love

Xo -T