Introductions

“Get up, I’ll  kick you, kid.” I heard a scratchy voice yak at me, as if I had all the motivation in the world to get up.

“Hey, what’s her name again? Didn’t you adopt her like, last week?” Asks Vey, the seventeen year old with the greatest body I’ve seen besides Jake Gyllenhaal. I had no idea if he was faking not knowing my name since we had a pretty heavy make out session two nights ago. Before you ask, no, I’m not a whore. But do I like attention from the male population? Hell yes.

“I’m up. What the hell do you need?” I ask rudely, and I have a right too. This room is the messiest frickin’ thing I’ve ever had to live in. And that’s saying a lot since I’ve ran around foster home to nearly every foster home in the Orange County district. I was in a sleeping bag, on the floor, and the light was shining right in my face. Ever since I called Social Service on Starr, I started moving. First I visited Vegas, and escaped because of a complaint I made. I was lucky to make it out of there without a drug addiction or an STD. But each time they sent me farther and farther away from where my parents lived together and died. But now I was back up and Reno, and thankful for the familiar territory.

“You have to pick up dog shit.” The woman with the cigarette sticking out of her mouth tells me, her face pinched in a mean look which I’m sure she got from years of being a foster parent. She was one of the selfish parents who signed up to get the checks and cash them for god knows what.

Vey rolls his eyes and goes down on his knees next to me; I put my hand to my hair and try to tame it. He smiles, noticing the attempt to try to look better for him. “You get to get out of here! Somebody named Sabrina is going to take you in. She just got out of jail so things will be a bit different . . .”

I stopped listening then. Sabrina was the one who supposedly killed my parents, they didn’t have any concrete evidence linking her to it but that’s what everybody around town thought. Everybody knows she had reason to; three years ago she tried to rob a convenience store and got caught. She got a longer sentence than you would normally and she had at least three months before she got out until she escaped. To do what? Nobody knows, and it’s scary as hell not knowing. Everybody loved a great rumor, and it just so happen it revolved around my life. They assumed Sabrina escaped out of jail, which she did, and went to go shoot my parents point blank, which nobody had any evidence to support.

Instead of showing my true thoughts on me going to live with her, I decided to fake excitement. “I’m so excited! I better start packing!” I throw my arms around Vey and he chuckles, bringing me closer. And for a guy who lives in a shithole like this, he smells pretty damn good.

“Like you have anything to pack in the first place.” Rat mutters under her breathe as she walks out the door, well there isn’t a door. Just a doorframe, the sixteen year old down the hall pried it open for no apparent reason, and nobody bothered to put it back on. I nicknamed her rat, since she always had a scrunched face like a rat and never bothered telling us her real name. Her reasoning is that we wouldn’t be here long enough for it to matter. Pretty heartwarming stuff, right?

“So why aren’t you excited about leaving?” Vey leans back, I watch him situate himself so his left knee is resting against my lower leg.

“O-of course I am! Why wouldn’t I be?” I stutter, mentally cursing myself. But how could Vey catch that?

“That’s what I’m asking.” He leans his chin on his hand and studies me intently, as if he could see right through me. I fidget a little, not sure if he’ll find anything.

“Just get out of here, I have to go shower and look nice for Sabrina.” I get up and huff when I say her name, he kisses me before he leaves. He was most likely going to his room on the first floor of the house.

When I get out of the shower I let my hair air dry, Rat most likely wasn’t going to let me use her blow dryer and I didn’t care very much. I dressed in my best clothes, which happened to be a brown dress that cut off right above the knee.

“You ready to go? Rat says I can drop you off.” Vey grins so big it’s like giving a little kid the best toy on Christmas. He jingles the keys and I laugh at him, following him to the old Tundra in the driveway. I smile to myself, happy that the nickname is actually catching on. I don’t trick myself into thinking Vey knows everything about me, he’s just a guy who can listen with an attractive face. I usually don’t bother talking to the other kids in the homes I go to, because I don’t need to be attached to somebody.

“God I don’t know why I’m so nervous.” I throw the air conditioner on, it’s June and the heat is almost unbearable outside. I turn the radio on and it plays to a random oldies song that I didn’t know the name of. Vey didn’t try to talk, either because he understood what I was going through or didn’t care enough to say anything encouraging.

“You know she only acted like that because you were leaving, she’s actually a huge teddy bear.” He looks over at me, dead serious, and I can’t help but start laughing. Because how can that be? She didn’t even give me a handshake when I came in to stay with her a week and a half ago, and she didn’t care to learn my name either. Maybe she had a feeling I was going to leave soon.

“Oh, I didn’t know you spoke bullshit too!” I clap my hand together as I say the sentence, it was dripping with sarcasm and he had a lopsided smile on his face.

“Okay, so maybe that was a little hard to believe.” He smiles at me though, as he turns on the blinker to enter a neighborhood, they weren’t trailers or mansions, some in between.

“A little? Baby, you’re full of it.”

“Oh? So I’m baby now? I feel special!” He speaks teasingly.

“Oh, is that what they are calling it nowadays?” I give him a big smile before looking over at the house we pulled in front of. “So is this it?” We stopped in front of a house that was a blue white, which was a weird combo on a house. I’m not talkin’ white paint around the windows and blue the rest, there were stripes of blue and white.

“Yup.” He puts the car in park and looks at me. “So I think I can manage to get away from the house a couple of times a week if you want to put up with me.”

I smile at him and bite my lip, shaking my head. “But I was happy I was coming here, you know, to get away from you. . .”

“Oh aren’t you funny.” He leans in closer and starts tickling me, I laugh. We get closer and all of a sudden we are making out, when I hear a tap on the window.  I turn and there’s this majorly attractive guy in front of me. For some guy who’s supposed to be my half brother, he looks nothing like my dad did. My heart had the feeling of being weighed down with lead with any thought about them, I missed him. This guy, Alpha, made a motion to roll down the window. Vey did it and Alpha smirked, clearly finding this situation amusing.

“So, you’re Zurie?” He asks in a knowing voice, but I’m not playing around.

I turn to face him completely. “Oh! So you’re the asshole half brother of mine? Would you believe me if I said I missed you?”

“Well, would you believe me if I said I was attracted to you?” Alpha questions, he looks so serious I almost believe him. I let out a fake laugh and roll up the window, wanting to finish my little make out session with Vey. He lets me roll it up, turning around and walking towards the house.

“Well, isn’t he going to be fun to live with.” Vey says sarcastically, and he’s watching Alpha moving towards the house, like he’s jealous of him or something.

“Oh, he’s going to be very fun to live with.” I declare before putting on my sunglasses and getting out of the car, not quite into kissing Vey when he’s dripping jealousy.