Memories Don't Always Make You Feel Better

When I got in the house I noticed that it was over furnished. It wasn’t crowded, but there were the classic couches surrounding the television. The only odd thing in the room was this really tall lamp that was almost intimidating, it resembled a tree with branches sticking out. I settled on sitting on the couch, the walls were a deep red and I could only assume that Alpha was in his room. I got so bored sitting there that I decided to rest my eyes, and fell asleep.

A few hours later I was snapped awake with the noise of the front door slamming which meant Sabrina came home. Well, I was totally guessing. It turns out I was right when I get up off the couch and see her red almost pink hair, pale face and pretty eyes. Dad had always kept a picture of Alpha in the living room, Sabrina made the shot and she told him it was the only good picture she had of him.  She looked tired and worn out, and she was wearing a name tag with Subway written on it over her black polo.

“Hi, you must be Zurie.” Sabrina didn’t give me her hand to shake or anything, just stood there looking at me. As if I could be lying just to mooch off of her.

“Yeah, thanks for letting me come stay with you . . .” I tell her, I put my hands in my dress pockets so they won’t fidget. Alpha snickers as he walks to the kitchen to grab something out of the fridge.

“I had no choice, just don’t get in my way and it’ll be fine.” Sabrina walks off before I can get over my surprise, and I honestly don’t think she expected one. I rolled my eyes and sat back down on the couch.

Alpha thumped down on the couch, right next to me, in my personal space too. “Don’t roll your eyes. At least you don’t have to get a job. I got one because I wanted to start paying for my own car and she started demanding half of my paycheck.”

It confused me that Alpha was actually trying to comfort me, but I went with it, because who knew when he’d go back to being an ass? “That’s true. “ I didn’t feel like applying for a job, even though it would get me some spending money. So I left it at that and hoped he would drop the subject.

“You can work with me! I work at Taco Bell. At lunch break, they let you eat some stuff. The boss is barely around and it’s easy to learn how to make things on the menu, it’s a great job. I’ll put in a good word for you.” He knocks shoulders with me before he gets up, and shoves the rest of his sloppy made sandwich in his mouth.

“Sounds great . . .” I mutter under my breath. What am I supposed to do here? I don’t know anybody, Vey said he would call but I didn’t want to wait around for him to remember that he’d call me. I heard a door shut and heels click and I turned my head, secretly hoping that Alpha was coming out dressed like a transvestite. I had to say I was honestly disappointed when it was Sabrina.

“What? Can’t I look sexy? I’m not that old you know. Only thirty-six.” She smirked at me as she took out lip gloss and put it on in the mirror that was hanging on the wall. “Alpha already knows his bed time. Just ask him where everything is, and don’t wait up for me. Because when you finally get a life, I won’t wait up for you.”

Was I supposed to be offended? Because honestly, I wasn’t. I’ve seen way worse parenting then Sabrina’s. She actually acted like a saint compared to the others. I understood completely, and was glad she wasn’t going to wait around for me like an anxious owner waiting for their puppy to pay attention to them.

“I get it.” I shrugged. “Have fun being thirty six.” Sabrina nodded and walked out of the door. I heard another door open right after that, it was Alpha. He looked surprised to see me still sitting in the living room like I was.

“What are you still doing here? Don’t you have some boyfriend to go mack on?” Alpha questions jokingly as he walks closer, he’s shirtless and I have to admit I admired it. For about three seconds, his question bugged me a little.