The Gun In The Sock Drawer

I didn’t get a job the next week, not like I was supposed to. I never got around to it, and Sabrina never showed up when I was around to bug me about it again. Nobody came or called asking where she was, and if we were going to pay the bills. Which meant that somehow and someway, she was taking care of it.

I shivered at the thought of what she could be doing to support us as I was making myself a sandwich.  Surely Subway can’t pay all of the bills. I tried to think of happy thoughts, and immediately thought of Isaac. I didn’t know whether to blush or be embarrassed. I thought of our last words to each other, and I could understand from his view why he wouldn’t want to tell me. But then again, that didn’t help my burning eagerness to know.

I was dancing to a song that I heard on the radio a couple of days before while I was spreading mayo on my sandwich. “Shit!” I shout out as the bread flops on my chest, it was a complete accident. I cursed myself silently while washing the white substance off of my fingers. That was my last shirt and I haven’t done laundry yet. I was panicking for about two seconds, I could wear one of Alpha’s shirts, or I could wear one of Sabrina’s. Alpha would probably make a sex joke about getting me out of it, so I decided on one of Sabrina’s.

I didn’t bother knocking or looking around the house to see if anybody would watch me go into her room. I knew Sabrina hadn’t been home in four weeks and today Alpha worked for two more hours. The lights were off and her room was bare. It looked like she just moved in; the bed didn’t have a comforter on it. There was just a sheet; there was a nightstand with an ordinary alarm clock. But the weird thing was, I know it was a duh statement, but it seemed empty. Like she wouldn’t come back to it, I looked in the drawers and started from the bottom. They were all empty, but for some reason I looked through all of them. I got to the top two where there were underwear and socks stuffed in one drawer; I opened up the one on the right.

I heard something slide out with the drawer and freaked out when I saw a black sleek handgun greet me. Its dangerous demeanor winked at me and told me to pet it, just once. I didn’t pick it up, if I was this freaked out to just stare at it. What would I do if I held it? I pushed the drawer back, while slowly backing out of the room. Shouldn’t the cops have that? My breathing started to get labored. I didn’t know if I had a fear of guns this bad before my parents died, or if it’s because of what it stands for. The object that killed my parents.

I was beyond confused; I didn’t know what to think. Was it hers? Was that the weapon used to kill my parents? I didn’t know what to do and I didn’t want to bring more cops in my life again, I guess I could talk to Alpha when he got home.

I sat on the couch staring at the coffee table until I heard someone unlocking the door. What if Sabrina decided to come back? I got off the couch and hid under the coffee table, I was pretty scared so I was motivated and I was under there before the person opened the door all the way.

“Hello? Zurie? I got off early.” I heard Alpha’s voice ring out and I felt stupid immediately. I felt my face blush several different shades of pink and red before I got up on my knees and waved to him.

“I was just looking for my . . . uh, earring! But I found it!” I clutched my left hand to my left ear lobe and smiled at him, hopefully he was convinced and I didn’t look too crazy.

“You don’t wear earrings.” He yawns before continuing. “I’m going to go shower and take a nap, you’re welcome to join me.”

Just when I thought he was too tired to be perverted, he surprises me. I sigh and roll my eyes, and drop my hand. I brush my knees off which now have the imprints of the carpet in them. I wonder if he knew that Sabrina wasn’t coming back. I cleared my throat and went to his bedroom; I was going to sleep first. I didn’t do anything productive enough to be tired but I had nothing else to do.